Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep curling top lip  (Read 6876 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
sheep curling top lip
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:49:43 pm »
as a newbie can anyone answer a question - do sheep curl their top lips at any time other than labour?

One of my ewes (a first timer) keeps standing up and then lying down against the side of the barn and when she lies down curls her top lip.

Is this the start?

i am still waiting for my pallets to come for my pens as thought had a bit more time - suggestions if she is on her way?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:51:30 pm by horsemadmummy »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: sheep curling top lip
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:13 pm »
It could be the start or she could just do this as a habit. My ram is always curling his top lip when he is around the girls just like he is tasting the air with it and I also have a very young ewe lamb that does it. My girls normally start talking to the lambs before they come out which I can now hear above all the normal welcome bahs from the rest.

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:37:30 pm »
ill just keep popping out every now and then - if anything happens ill just muddle through!  she does look a little strange though and when she stands seems to be pushing against the walls and wont let any of the oethers into her corner!

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 05:46:38 pm »
look for stargazing is the udder bagged up fully? when they due?

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 06:39:46 pm »
as they are first timers not sure when they are due!!!  their coats are really long as they are shetlands and ive not yet had them a week but know they are in lamb!  will just have to keep watching but have gone and gor my midwife kit to be safe.

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:19:02 pm »
Our usually start by pawing the ground and circling the chosen area. If you walk them a few paces away from that area they return to it after you have gone. they also don't come for food if they are very close to starting. then they do plenty of lying down and standing up again as if they just can't get comfortable. Mine don't start star gazing and lipcurling till the bag appears. The lip curling is them smelling the air so maybe yours is smelling her fluids. different breeds can behave very differently but the next few hours should tell you if something has started.
how exciting! do keep us informed
   helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS