« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:56:04 pm by Worzel Gummidge »

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep skin rug processing
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:09:24 pm »
There are only 3 in the whole of Britain! Luckily they are all in the SW....The one I always recommend is Fenland Sheepskin at Bridgwater (Somerset) They provide a personal service for smallholders. Google the website and give them a phone WELL in advance of booking lambs into the abattoir. Ask for June Tinnion and she will tell you what you need to do to get your raw skins prepared. As you have Jacobs you will have a valuable product. Costs are around £20 plus vat and also you will probably get charged a fiver for getting your skins back by the abattoir. Once done a jacob skin with good markings is worth about £70
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:24:38 pm »
I can second fenland, very friendly and helpful. we have a lovely 4 skin (sounds wrong!) rug as they will stitch the fleeces together if you wish.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:41:22 pm »
Jacob skins from Fenland are absolutely gorgeous.  My last half dozen were in a friend's car when it was stolen so I never saw them again and now I don't have Jacobs.

Woollyshepherd - there is also Skyeskins which is in ......... Skye  :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:07:39 pm »
 :D :D Sorry fleecewife......I forgot Skye!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:37:53 am »
havent you got a certain amount of time to get them there from kill? i would love to get a shetland done 1 day just not known how to go about it

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 11:22:49 am »
You need to collect the skins almost as soon as they are off the sheep, so you can salt them within a couple of hours.  I have info on salting which I can email to you - too long to put on here.  You need DVP salt from your agric merchant - buy that in first.  Salting takes from 1 to 3 weeks depending on air humidity.  Once salted you can roll and wrap the skins in waterproof sacks then send them in the ordinary post, being careful about weight.  But let Fenland know before you send them.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 12:36:32 pm »
Just popped in....so v quickly... WG ask June at Fenland what to do and she will either email you a sheet on how to prepare them OR.....if you are within an hour of Fenland do what I do....tell june you are coming direct from abattoir and stick em in feed sacks straight off sheep at abattoir and drive them there for them to salt etc (costs £1 or so more)
Postage can add a lot to costs so seeing you are in the SW see if you can co ordinate it!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 02:22:55 pm »
There are only 3 in the whole of Britain! Luckily they are all in the SW....The one I always recommend is Fenland Sheepskin at Bridgwater (Somerset) They provide a personal service for smallholders. Google the website and give them a phone WELL in advance of booking lambs into the abattoir. Ask for June Tinnion and she will tell you what you need to do to get your raw skins prepared. As you have Jacobs you will have a valuable product. Costs are around £20 plus vat and also you will probably get charged a fiver for getting your skins back by the abattoir. Once done a jacob skin with good markings is worth about £70
not true.
there are more than that up here. either salt or freeze. we had to wait for two weeks to get ours done this year. ours cost about 20-25. there are three people within 10 miles that does them professionally.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 03:32:47 pm »
 :D :D :D But Scotland is another country!!! Italy is nearer to me than the Shetlands!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 04:02:24 pm »
It is relevant to postage rates though.  From England and possibly southern Scotland, postage to the Highlands and Islands is more than to the rest of mainland Britain.  Conversely, if you are already in the Highlands and Islands, a local tannery will be much cheaper for postage.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:53 pm »
:D :D :D But Scotland is another country!!! Italy is nearer to me than the Shetlands!!
you said
There are only 3 in the whole of Britain
. as far as we are concerned we are a part of Britain. If not you owe us 30 years oil money.
anyway im not sure posting a skin is such a good idea. it really can go manky quickly. we have had to burry some in the past. postage via royal mail parcel force is the same. however lots of companies add money on.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:03:38 pm »
 :D If well salted in the prescribed manner it will deffo not go manky!!!......if not eurrrrgh!!! I'm just a soft southerner!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 06:07:27 pm »
just thinking if they did not salt enough the smell in the sorting office. worse still in brown paper. our shetlands make lovely little skins.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 06:15:54 pm »
You have to keep adding salt for at least a week if not three, until there's no more run-off, then shake it all off and sprinkle a little fresh on.  Then roll and wrap in plastic feed sacks, then pack several together in another feed sack.  I have never had any leak in the postie's van done that way  ;D  They also weigh less when well salted than when fresh from the abattoir, for postage costs.  But I must admit I always worry something will go wrong and my skins will be left putrifying in the undelivered post section for years  :o 8)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:57:03 pm by Fleecewife »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS