Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dental  (Read 3213 times)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Dental
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:24 pm »
Just got my cat Tinker back from the vets after he had a dental clean and one tooth extraction.  He is recovering remarkably well.  Not me however after the extortionate bill!  :o  And my dog needs a tooth removed pretty pronto as it's quite bad but the bill for that is even more.  >:(  I will do anything for my babies but it's burning the biggest hole in my pocket.

Just needed to share that with you!  I expect there are many stories about the incredible cost of vets.

Here is Tinker in case you're interested.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: Dental
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:01:59 pm »
He looks like he's got life pretty much sorted. How old is he?

I've had a lot of cats over the years. The eldest was 23 when he was put to sleep last year.

They've all been pretty robust beasts. Perhaps the one requiring the most significant veterinary treatment was Sugar, who had to have one of his back legs removed after being hit by a car. That was about ten years ago but the vet charged me just £175. I was expecting easily twice that. The cat made a superb recovery, btw.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:04:57 am »
Poor Sugar.  You must have been devastated at the time.

23 years old is incredible.  Tinker is only 8 years old.  My eldest cat was 18 when she was PTS.  Thought that was old until I heard about yours.  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:34:21 pm »
Lovely cat.

When we got out first cat from the SSPCA he needed £300 of dental work  :( , then he had a hernia, then crystals in his urine (when they picked up the heart murmur) then more dental work then cancer, which eventually finished him off. What a bargain for £25 he was! But he was worth every penny of Petplan's money  ;D

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:24 pm »
Oh poor boy.  He really did have everything, but most of all a loving home who made sure he got the treatment he needed.  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 08:01:59 pm »
It was over a period of eight years - I don't want it to sound like he was permanently crocked up. Most of the time he was fine  ;D just when anything went wrong it was spectacular! And always at a holiday - usually Christmas  :cat:

Hope your boy is doing well.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »
Tinker is gorgeous!    hope he gets well soon.
Our cat Friday gets quite severe plaque build up & has to go quite regularly to have her teeth done (the vet says "she's got quite a mushroom there" ?!) 
she lives with my parents, so I couldnt tell you how much it costs each time.  She now has an inoperable tumour on her tongue, so is on £25 a week (or fortnight?) Metacam, and the most expensive food in the supermarket ;)

do you notice that your vets seem to charge so much more for "pets" than livestock?
Little Blue

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:07:19 pm »
Tinker seems back to his usual self thanks all.

LB - are they getting Friday's meds from the vet or online?  My other cat and dog are on meds and I get them from petdrugsonline.co.uk.  For example, my vet charges 8 pounds for a prescription but even with that cost I save 56 pounds a month!!!!  And that's just for one type of tablet.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 07:19:31 pm »
what a lovely picture, glad he is doing well  :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:21:55 pm »
Hi Cinderhills
Frid's metacam is through her vets (not the same as ours)
I offered to try & "shop round" online, but to be honest she'll probably not be with us much longer :'( so M&D said they'd rather keep contact with the vets...
  her dose lowers almost weekly as she loses weight...  but Mum said she was chasing round the garden like a kitten last Saturday as it was warm & sunny!

:wave:
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS