Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grazing Rams  (Read 3774 times)

mikemeadow

• Joined Jan 2009
Grazing Rams
« on: January 04, 2009, 10:25:53 pm »
Firstly, congratulations on the site and the wealth of information on it.

I have a paddock of about 2 acres that the previous owner allowed a local farmer to graze his sheep on.  After a few seasons of cutting the grass, I've decided that was a good idea...

I had a quick chat with the farmer and he mentioned that he would most probably like to keep some Rams on the land. I know absolutely nothing about sheep (apart from eating them) so thought I should try to check a few things out before going any further.

The paddock is attached to the house land but separated by gates and stock fencing. I'm really only looking for "grass cutters" and don't want the responsibility legally or otherwise for any stock on the land. Having said that, we'd be happy to look over the flock daily and make sure they have water etc but if we go on holiday or away on business then it's down to the farmer who lives about 30mins away and if, eventually, we wanted to move house, then we would not want any difficulty in removing the sheep.

Finally, probably a stupid question but most sheep I have seen seem reasonably indifferent to human beings. Is this the case with Rams or will danger be lurking in the paddock for the unwary?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Grazing Rams
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:49:23 am »
We used to let our fields out for grazing.  I don't know if it's the same in England but here in Scotland the grass is let by the acre and for a 'season' - that is for a period of less than 365 days, and usually from May to October.  In Aberdeenshire, we were given just under £100 per acre regardless of how many cattle were on it, and the farmer had to keep up the fencing to the same standard as when she took it on, but I think sheep are on a rate per animal - not sure though  Either way, although we said we'd keep an eye out for any problems they were never our responsibility.  I'm not sure I'd be entirely happy with rams though, especially of you have children around, or other animals - I've met some pretty feisty and sometimes vicious rams! (One was actually called Satan - a Jacob)
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:04:08 pm »
Hi
You will find no one will pay to put sheep on a field as they are not worth as much as cattle and I have people begging me at times to put sheep on impossible bits of land with no fencing they want tidied so I am now very choosy about my grazing and will only pay if it has buildings!

Rams, when not working are a bit like the blokes from last of the summer wine and should give you no trouble....HOWEVER......do not make pets of them be feeding odd treats as that will cause problems as they will expect it. Rams on holiday graze well and are great, mine all live together mowing other peoples fields during the summer.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

farmerswag

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Aberdeen Shire
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:14:37 am »
We get 30p per head per week for the sheep that we let run out cattle grazing during the winter, we don't do anything for them and the owner has to remove all the fallen stock.  The always seem to find there way into the garden.  We have our own pedigree flock too which is kept seperate and we have a ram who is v easy to handle and not at all aggresive
Chasing sheep - keeps you young

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS