Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cock bird  (Read 4824 times)

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
Cock bird
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:02:19 pm »
We have one huge cock bird in our flock of Buffs orpingtons, I say huge as he's about the size of a small turkey. As the Hens have just started laying should we take him away from them or will the eggs still be ok to eat even if he's had his wicked way with the hens?  Sorry if this sounds like a daft question bit of a learning curve this.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: Cock bird
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:24:28 pm »
no problems with eating eggs when cockerel are running with them, if and when anything goes broody and you may want to hatch your own out later on mark the eggs with a pencil so they dont get collected.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:54:37 am »
Just remember to date the eggs when collected so you don't leave them any more than a couple of weeks.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:11:07 am »
thanks for that, its what I thought but just wanted to be sure. If this buff gets any bigger he may have to go anyway. All he seems to do is eat and grow, his legs are like sticks of rock there that thick. Might make a nice table bird come easter who knows ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 11:32:41 am »
Keep the eggs in the fridge, if you don't already so so.

Aah, wait till you raise little chickies of yoru own. Your cockerel will have a home for life!!

I like having a cockerel around - keeps the little madams in their place.

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:37:06 pm »
Technically, you aren't allowed to sell eggs that have been fertilised but they're fine for your own comsumption. If you did bite the bullet and make a meal of him you'd probably be surprised at how little meat is on an Orpington under all that feathering  ;) breed some chicks (Orpies are born to brood!) and they should sell well. If you do get a broody hen and you still want to eat the eggs, don't eat them if they've been under her for more than a day.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 08:50:34 am »
Why are you not allowed to sell eggs that may be fertile? I understand that even the big producers run cockerels to rpevent bullying - hence the odd incidence of Tesco eggs hatching. I don't recall reading any regs that say you can't so I'm just want to some reassurance.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 09:42:41 am »
Yes, that worries me too - I leave eggs at the gate for neighbours and they put a contribution to the hens feed in an honesty box so technically I'm selling too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 10:50:15 pm »
Had a good look online and can't find anything that says about not selling fertilised eggs.  Has anyone else heard of this????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS