Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gooseberry bushes  (Read 17558 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Gooseberry bushes
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 11:55:24 am »
Washing up liquid in water sprayed on reduces the surface tension so beasties lose their footing and fall off the plants.  ot sure what you do after that though.  Worked on my Dad's roses many many years ago.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 12:01:39 pm »
Ellie, you are more than welcome to it, I won't use it. Maybe you can come over at the weekend some time? Will hopefully have a cake of some kind  ;D :&>

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 05:51:57 pm »
hi, sorry a bit of a late reply - we had gooseberry problems once and an organic garden centre recommended we spray with milk - can't remember if that was for fly or mildew problems though - worth a harmless try though! ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:38 am »
I think milk is for mildew.  I am losing my whole gooseberry crop right now - the bushes are covered in the little devils and there are hardly any leaves left.  I will try the soft soap spray but I think it's too late (too wet and windy before).  There are bluetits feeding their young nearby so I am hopeful that they might take some of the sawfly larvae.  I am really annoyed as the crop promised to be a bumper one from the number of small fruits forming.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 07:06:26 am »
One bush that was badly infested last year doesn't bear any fruit at all this year, the other much less than normal. Maybe some of the fruit on it will mature...We never had problems with the wee ***~@@%&****), just the last 2-3 years  >:(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 11:44:20 am »
I agree with all the expletives  :D :D :D  I have found in the past that even if the berries get to a useable size, they are a bit squashy and pale on plants which have been stripped of their leaves, so not really useable.  There are a few problems which make me question by organic principles, but I haven't succumbed to temptation ....yet  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »
Sorry for the principled but I got fed up and bought a spray and used it  >:(  I can't actually see any flower/berry bases any more after the gales but it's a principle and with both bushes starting to lose bottom leaves I'd had enough and zapped the blighters

Might not have fruit this year but at least I won't be staring at twigs all summer  8)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 08:21:21 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Don't blame you! ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 08:35:14 pm »
we only had one bush affected this year - came home from a few days away and found half the leaves missing!  got a chair, some music., an old marg tub and just sat and picked them off in their hundreds....and now do so every time i walk past.  so far, so good.

ps NFD I'd forgotten the nuts and seeds trick - thanks for reminding me :)

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 07:24:25 pm »
I now have the second batch of saw fly this year apearing.  >:( I have spotted mine very young this time so will be out squashing a few times a day for the next week or so.

Keep checking everyone!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »
Thanks for the tip off, I'll have a wee check next time I walk by, but sadly there were no flowers left after the gales so no fruit, just ornamental bushes this year - better looking with leaves mind ;)
Ellie Douglas Therapist

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 07:59:32 am »
I checked the gooseberries and all clear but I then discovered millions of the damn caterpillars hanging all over a young silver birch tree decimating it  >:( 

They're not there now..  8) but I didn't think they'd attack a tree :o
Ellie Douglas Therapist

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 08:14:26 am »
it might not be the same kind, I think they are specific to varieties. Gooseberry sawfly loves gooseberries and currants (although my currants don't ever seem to suffer much). There was a program on the other day showing a whole cemetary covered in cobwebs as the caterpillars weaved in the whole place - and the cherry trees, looked very spooky!
I really don't have the time to pick them all off this year, but the hens love them as a little treat. I just wondered what is wrong with our wild birds, that's their job, really, isn't it?? :&>

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 07:04:53 pm »
The saprrows have been having a peck at them but not nearly enough.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 11:27:32 am »
mine survived this year...by me taking a seat and just sitting and picking the bulk of them off!  and then checking every time i walked past and picking those ones off too......weeds suffered as a result though :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS