Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted! Advice on buying a Webcam! Urgent.  (Read 7759 times)

sandy

Wanted! Advice on buying a Webcam! Urgent.
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:47:43 pm »
I have some Amazon vouchers and have decided I realy need a webcam, my eldest daughter and her family are in Austrailia and was able to speek to the whole family and see tham via Skype and a Webcam at my other daughters, they regulalry communicate with each other and friends in Mexico. I want a camera that is easy to use and install and relitively cheap, no more the £25, with a built in mic BUT it realy needs to be compatable with VISTA, I have seen loads that look good but not sure if they will work on my laptop, HELP! I am a very compulsive person and will end up buying something that is not the best for the job, does anyone have any ideas what I should buy?  Sandy

rustyme

Re: Wanted! Advice on buying a Webcam! Urgent.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:01:55 pm »
hello Sandy,
           go very careful with webcams and vista. A friend of mine bought 5, all meant to work with vista but none did. They got one in the end from one of the supermarkets , I will find out what the make is (if it had it on it ?) if I can, and let you know. Someone else on here may already know of one that will work with vista , I still use XP I won't touch vista with a barge pole....I should speak to my friend tonight , if not then tomorrow night, so will let you know as soon as I do ....

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 09:43:20 pm »
Well, I had heard so much bad press about Vista that when I bought my new PC I asked my son to uninstall Vista and install XP.  However, he suggested I give it a day or two before deciding.  I am now so glad I did.  I have had no problems whatsoever with it.  Having said that I have not tried my web cam with it, principally because it is one of these original cheapy thingummy jigs that probably would need a bicycle to power it up first.  However, my son said that most webcams are similar and if i did buy on to wait a few weeks as there is a new generation of them due out with better sound quality.  He also said to go for as high a pixel level as possible.  Hope that is of some help
I'm sure our resident IT whizz kid will know more though - come in No 1 Dan (if he can get Rosemary off the computer  ;))
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:59:23 pm »
I could put the web cam on XP but would prefer it on my laptop due to mobility, my daughter is an IT expert along with my father in law and my brother in law...yet, I want simple stuff, just a brand etc, I had problems connecting my printer with VIsta and heard that there are no drivers for stuff on vista so maybe the main computor is best, thanks anyway for the advice.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:20:12 am »
It's OK - we've got a PC each otherwise it would be Hell. I will ask him for a view.

We used to host the Council webcam attached to Clacksweb, when Dan was web manager at the Council. We had it in the study pointing towards the Ochil Hills. We got lots of nice comments from ex pats, but one day someone contacted us to say that what they could see on the webcam was Dan working at his desk. Turned out it was the reflection in the window. Since no-one really wanted to watch Dan work, it was put on the top of the Council offices.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:15:37 pm »
The best utility cam I have found is Logitech Quickcam,get the one that's priced around 30 quid. The 50 quid one is exactly the same just with upgraded software that you can get for free from Limewire or Frostwire,but to be honest,it's just gadgets and overlays. No problems loading on Vista,their website is great for downloading new drivers and updating software and for ease of use it's great.........Ree

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/webcams/devices/4268&cl=gb,en
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 02:20:25 pm »
Thanks, took advice and have order the Logitech Quickcam from Amazon as I still  have some money left in that account, so I got the camera and a headset even though I am sure the mic are OK all for just over £13 so, fingers crossed, I hope to use it on my laptop with VISTA and on my main computor with XP, Thanks again, trouble is I may now have to put on full makeup, hair and de- fuss  before talking with my family otherwise they will think I have gone wild living up here in Scotland!! Thank you all for your help, watch o ut for my next problem!, Sandy

rustyme

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:29:48 pm »
hello Sandy,
                sorry for not getting back earlier about the web cam . The person who bought the one that worked on vista looked at it and there were  no names or marks on it anywhere. They had already thrown the packing away , and couldn't remember what it said on the box....they couldn't even remember which supermarket they bought it in ....lol. Glad to see you have got something though and hope it works ok with your setup.  Once again,sorry for delay and good luck ....

cheers
Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS