plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Mange?
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:44:06 am »
Morning  :)

I was trimming feet yesterday and noticed that reggie has some sore area's on his hocks and very dry, flaky skin. he's been rubbing his hocks so there is some hair loss and broken skin. Did spray some purple on for the short term but am wondering if we have mange? lots of foxes nearby who could easily pass it I guess. Savannah is fine and her skin is no problem.  Reggie's has gone like this very quickly as it appeared fine only a fdew days back.

Is this a job for the vet (injections and topical stuff) or do I treat with something else?
thanks in advance
Lisa x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Mange?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:31:43 am »
Probably a job for the vet, as he will have something more effective to treat it in the longterm. You could try a little "Spot On" if you have any. Males can be bad for getting dry flaky skin so it could just be that, but it's not common on their hocks, so chances are its mange.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:53:23 am »
Thanks Beth  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 02:07:29 pm »
Get the stuff and inject it yourself,they'll probably use ivamectin ayway...watch out it stings  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS