Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SPKA Showing workshop & BBQ - everyone welcome !  (Read 6185 times)

HappyHippy

SPKA Showing workshop & BBQ - everyone welcome !
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:51:51 pm »
We are planning a showing workshop and fundraising BBQ at Lillian's (Falkirk) prior to our first show. The date this is planned for is Sunday, the 17th of April.

The day will begin with a quick committee meeting. The workshop will begin at 12 noon with a brief introduction and summary of what we, as an association, have achieved so far and where we want to go in the future. This will be followed by a showing demonstration from Lillian. She will run through the do's and do not's before giving you the chance to practice or show off your technique with one of her pigs. We'll be having a BBQ and various fun & games to raise funds for the SPKA. The day will come to a close around 5pm.

We expect that it will be a day filled with fun and laughs and give everyone the chance to have a 'trial run' with an audience in attendance. Pig boards and sticks will be provided - bring your own wellies or boots !

The cost for the day is £5 for SPKA members and £10 for non-members. Kids under 16 are free, but must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Names and payment (cheque, paypal or by credit card via paypal) should be sent to the secretary 7 days in advance, to allow us to cater for everyone. Please see http://scottishpigs.co.uk for further details. Any queries please get in touch.

We hope you will all come along and join in the fun !
Karen  :wave:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:28:08 pm by HappyHippy »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: SPKA Showing workshop & BBQ - everyone welcome !
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:32:45 pm »
Hmmmm that would be easy trip for us to make! Might see if we can come along.

Beth

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:28:16 am »
Hope it goes well! Pics and videos afterwards please - names withheld to protect the innocent.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:36:20 am »
Do you have a certain number of people you can manage, and do people need to book in advance- or can they decide that day to come along?

Beth

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:01:45 am »
There's not a set 'number' of places as such (it'll be as many as can fit in the field ;)) though I'll double check with Lillian for the parking side of things, as that might put a limit on.
We really need names and deposit/payment a week before - this will allow us to make sure we've got enough food & drinks for everyone, without having lots of waste.
Currently the menu's looking a bit like this - home produced burgers and sausages from the BBQ with rolls, please indicate if you're a veggie so we can get an alternative  ;) (salad & coleslaw - if it's lovely summery weather  ;)) and I'll do a bit of baking for a sweet treat, currently thinking carrot cake muffins and mini victoria sponges, but any other suggestions are welcome ;)  :yum:
Look forward to seeing you there  :wave:
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 12:09:01 pm »
o yes muffins muffins muffins and more muffins

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 03:27:01 pm »
Bumpety, bump, bump !  ;D

Just a gentle reminder for everyone who wants to come along - we need names and numbers as soon as possible.
Thanks folks - look forward to seeing you there.
Karen  :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:00 pm »
If I put on an accent and paint my face blue can I come  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 08:42:52 pm »
if you were to come you would be made welcome :wave: :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:46:42 pm »
Thanks Lillian that's very kind of you. I would love to but I'll have only just had my cast off and won't be driving by then. Maybe next time though I bet you'll all have a fantastic day  ;D

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:39:54 pm »
I would love to come too, but it's a little far for me right now. Lambing will be atrting & it's OH's birthday & I've people coming to collect weaners............ I hope to be there in May though totally unprepared & inexperienced.................. :pig: Maybe I'll just watch ;)

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 11:02:14 pm »
If I put on an accent and paint my face blue can I come  ;D

You don't have to be Scottish or living in Scotland to join  ;) We would welcome members from everywhere who want to help support the pig keepers of Scotland and see pig shows back on the agricultural show schedule  ;D ;D ;D

I would love to come too, but it's a little far for me right now. Lambing will be atrting & it's OH's birthday & I've people coming to collect weaners............ I hope to be there in May though totally unprepared & inexperienced.................. :pig: Maybe I'll just watch ;)
You can't just watch  :o C'mon, I promise not to practice too much, so we can both get all mixed up together  ;) It's not about the winning or being perfect, hey it's the first one for a looooong time, it really is the taking part that it's all about. We NEED a really good turnout if we are to succeed in getting more shows to consider hosting the pigs  ;) So don't be shy, or worried, or embarressed - just get stuck in and have a laugh with the rest of us  ;D ;D ;D
I WILL see you in the ring on Saturday 28th of May in Lesmahagow........oh yes I will ;) :wave:
Karen x

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:46 pm »
Ok 28th may.. Rob and I talked about coming to Scotland for a few days. What is the nearest town I'd recognise?

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 09:53:01 am »
The show on the 28th is at Lesmahagow (nearest big town - Lanark)
I live just outside Lesmahagow and I've got 1 spare room up for grabs that weekend - you and Rob are welcome to have it ;) (Providing you don't mind 4 mental kids !)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 05:29:48 pm »
Oh NOOOOOO disaster has struck  :o

My little Maisie has somehow lost one of her Piri's - it WAS there yesterday.  No sign of any blood either - just a funny bald whirl where it was  ???

Guess you're not gonna see me in the ring this year Karen  ::)

Btw - do you want us to bring anything with us on 17th?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS