Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too late for Ram?  (Read 6043 times)

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
Too late for Ram?
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:10:13 pm »
Hi

Got our four ewes and one ewe lamb (8 months old) a couple of months ago.  Is it too late to get a Ram in?  Am concerned that by the time they lamb, they will be too hot and I am assuming you can't shear before they lamb? Also, I assume ewe lamb would be better not lambing this time.

Comments urgently would be gratefully received!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Too late for Ram?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:43:28 pm »
if tups go in now you will be lambing end of may - early june. Part of the problem is your ewes won't return to service until 60-100 days after weaning so you will be late the following year too.

also if the ewes have lots of grass on the 6-8 weeks to lambing they will probably have big lambs and the extra pressure on milk production could cause problems

you pays your money and takes your choice
Ian

suomi

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:44:11 pm »
we have 5 ewes and the ram will visit in a couple of weeks, we have timed it like this to have lamb for eating the following easter.
we have Finnish sheep and they dont seem to have any problems when it comes to lambing (well usually anyway!)
also last year we sheared them about 4 weeks before lambing with no problem and i guess we will do the same in 2009.  certainly if we hadnt sheaqred them they would have over heated, we could also shear them a little earlier...
good luck, im not sure if theres a right or wrong way to do this.......

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:51:32 pm »
Thanks to both of you for your replies and comments taken on board.  Ram coming on Friday!  Any thoughts on the ewe lamb?
Happy New Year!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 06:27:37 pm »
If it was my ewe lamb I would not put her to the ram this year as they are not really mature enough.
It could create real problems for you if you didnot know what to do if she had problems and a real possibilty that you might lose her. :(
My advice save her till next year, she could then be put to the ram earlier than the rest if you wanted to.
Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 06:35:52 pm »
Hi Kaz

That was my feeling too - but just wanted to see what others thought.  We will leave her for a year.

Issy

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 06:42:33 pm »
I've kept back 7 coloured and 1 white ewe lamb this year, undecided which ones to sell, but they were kept well away from the rams as breeding lines are paramount with Ryelands and the lambs are just not big enough compared with the ewes. I have 20+ ewes due to start lambing from end Jan through to March, and that is more than enough to contend with for an oldie like me without even considering the lambs.
Enjoy your lambing when it comes. All the best.
Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

suomi

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 07:35:20 am »
yep I agree with kaz, leave your ewe lamb untill shes older,
good luck!

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 12:22:22 pm »
Thanks to you all.  Will definitely leave ewe-lamb for a year.
Issy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS