Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cow body language  (Read 12468 times)

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
cow body language
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:01:51 am »
Could someone please post a concise Cow/English dictionary interpreting the various movements and postures that cows do and how they reflect the mood, preferences and intentions of the animal?

Mothman

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wicklow Ireland
Re: cow body language
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:06:43 am »
If I was to answer for both my cows, both answers would be entirely different! Their personalities are very different.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:26:38 am »
All five of my dogs have different personalities, as do all my hens and ducks, but they do seem to have some body language in common within their species that I can sometimes read if I am looking carefully.  Sorry can't help with cows though. I just googled and found this if it's any help
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/ucce50/ag-labor/7article/article29.htm
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

TRUFFLE

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:03:46 pm »
I have three highland cattle - two are friendly and one is not so - the boys are the friendly ones, so not sure what that says about them as a breed, or even if this is standard cattle behaviour!  However, the thing I have learnt about them is that they can all be unpredictable - I have to keep my wits about me because of the horns    :o!

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:51:46 pm »
There isnt a guide, you have to work with them and learn there personalities. I worked on my parents dairy farm with 300+ cows and young stock no 2 where the same.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:59:16 pm »
Now here's an opportunity for some-one - a thesis on bovine behaviour anyone?  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:41:26 pm »
Tell you what though, my dogs can read my body language a helluva lot better than I can read theirs ::) ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:12:50 pm »
Oh yeh, can't they just  :dog: :dog: :dog: - just the thing for the miserable wet cold weather - Setter Snuggle anyone?  :D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:31:24 pm »
Being flight/prey animals I should think its much the same as horses :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:29 am »
Being flight/prey animals I should think its much the same as horses :)

Na-ah-AH!  A cow will give you a warning by shaking its head at you, maybe lowing.  If it's pawing the ground, you are being told!
A horse will give you a warning by turning its bum to you, threatening a kick.  If a cow is gonna kick you its FAST!  And no warning!
Both species flatten their ears back to show displeasure.  A cow will swish her tail to show displeasure; I can't think I've ever seen a horse swish its tail for any reason other than the removal of flies. 
Horses can rear in aggression, cattle don't.
Cattle don't bite in aggression, horses do.
This is fun - sheep don't kick and warn by stamping their front foot, and swish their tails to distribute their little poo pellets...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 12:33:32 pm »

Na-ah-AH!  A cow will give you a warning by shaking its head at you, maybe lowing.  If it's pawing the ground, you are being told!
A horse will give you a warning by turning its bum to you, threatening a kick.  If a cow is gonna kick you its FAST!  And no warning!
Both species flatten their ears back to show displeasure.  A cow will swish her tail to show displeasure; I can't think I've ever seen a horse swish its tail for any reason other than the removal of flies. 
Horses can rear in aggression, cattle don't.
Cattle don't bite in aggression, horses do.
This is fun - sheep don't kick and warn by stamping their front foot, and swish their tails to distribute their little poo pellets...
[/quote]

horses arent that stereotypical. it depends on what herd status they think they have with u. if a horse is being trained and isnt happy, it will toss its head and shake its neck. if it starts to relax and think, it will begin to chew/lick it lips. a dominant horse would more likely to strike out with its front legs, stamp on u or push into ur space, a defensive horse will turn its quarters and kick. a tail carriage in a horse is a big signal to how it is feeling. a clamped tailed will signal disharmony in some area, whether with its handler or fieldmates. a horse in physical or mental conflict whilst being ridden will swish its tail an awful lot.
my calves gave plenty of kicks whilst 1st being handled, but most were slow warnings, and could easily have got me if they meant it.
iv also had a few kicks off sheep, tho may be have been mid-flight , sheep clamp their tails when under alarm whilst goats raise there tail.

:cow: :horse: :goat: :sheep:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 06:39:57 pm »
 "If a cow is gonna kick you its FAST!"
Not as fast as my mules! ;) ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 12:38:54 pm »
i think what ever the species, if they really mean it, they get u spot on!  :wave:

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 04:44:22 pm »
You could try reading "The Secret Life of Cows" by Rosamund Young.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS