Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small stock trailer wanted in Scotland  (Read 3830 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Small stock trailer wanted in Scotland
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:26:37 pm »
We are currently using a very old & heavy Rice horse-trailer to move our piggies between fields & holding with a rather old Freelander  :D

Hoping to take some of the little darlings on a one-way-sausage trip soon & concerned that the abbatoir may not accept our mode of transport - no sides to the ramp?

Not concerned about looks, as long as it is safe & solid.

:pig: :chook: :dog: :bee:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

Re: Small stock trailer wanted in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:34:12 pm »
at the last scrap sale sorry impliment sale at stirling there was an ifor williams dp6 trailor made £580 neading jocky wheel and stand one tyre and a wheel and tyre also needing steam cleaned and mucked out inside
you can use hurdles on the trailor as side gates :-*

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:36:37 pm »
Where abouts are you?

You may be able to hire or borrow one. Though it can be hard for stock.

Do you have a local machinery ring?

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:50:19 pm »
I'm thinking the SPKA might be able to wangle a deal with a trailer hire company (or a few round the country) not sure how quickly it'll be set up.............another one for the 'to-do' list  ;) Leave it with me  :wave:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:18:36 am »
I spoke to our abbatoir the other day, and they were more concerned about the animals welfare than about loading gates. They were happy for us to take two orphan lambs from last year to them in the back half of our transit van. If we had put them in our trailer, we would have had two smallish sheep rattling around in a 8ft by 5ft trailer, instead of nice snug 4 ft square space in the van.

Speak to your abbatoir and see what they say.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:07:44 am »
If the pigs are used to the horsetrailer it will be much easier loading them in that that in a new one. Just take a couple of hurdles separately with you, and have a person each side holding them for unloading. Should be ok.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »
Thanks for all the replies folks  :) - the hurdles sound like a good idea while Karen's working her way through her "to do" list  ;D

Next question - where's a good place up here to get them from - the scrap sale up by you Lillian?  ;)

:pig: :chook: :dog: :bee:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:26:42 pm »
Ebay.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:29:50 pm »
I am about to put my livestock trailer up for sale. @10 foot x 5.5 foot. twin wheel . old ifor williams. good tyres plus spare. quite good condition but probabley ready for a new jockey wheel ( where next doors ponies like to scratch against) and a couple of wires re connecting. has side door, aluminium flooring and ramp and wooden side rails. has been very usefull but i have decided I cannot afford to just keep a few pigs at a time any more.
i also have a splendid ark up for grabs. close to sheffield if of interest to anyone. :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS