Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding lambs  (Read 10376 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
feeding lambs
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:35:33 pm »
i have taken four orphaned lambs today - bottle feeding as only week old.  I have steralised bottles using my steam unit (as I have 7 month old baby who wont take a bottle!!!!!) am I going too far???

Was told 4 feeds at 250ml a time is this right or should they be on 3 feeds?  If so what amount?

Using lamlac so hopefully good.

Do they need water in a bucket in their pen and when should I start including the ewe nuts I have?

Is there anything else I should be doing?  They seem very enthusiastic when I sit in the pen but then I do smell of milk as I am feeding my own baby - shouldn't be a problem should it?  they are calmer with me than the children who are keen to help.  Is it the milk thing?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: feeding lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »
Yep start on 250ml x 4 and follow instructions on lamblac bag! Keep bottles nice and clean.
You will need lamb creep pellets not ewe nuts as too big and wrong formulation really. Also ad lib good soft sweet hay to get them eating fibre to develop the rumen properly fed from a rack so they don't waste it!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:54:24 pm »
made them really deep bd of wheat straw with bales as walls so that heat is kept in and they are already nibbling at it.  Will get creep feed tomorrow and leave it in corner for them to have a go at should I be worried about the straw?  people we got them from said not to feed hay as it will likely make them bloat!!!

Have some ewes in lamb arriving Friday so will open some haylage then and leave some for the four muskateers too

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:12:52 pm »
Nope hay will not make them bloat! Grass is best avoided until they are eating a lot of roughage as well as milk as grass and large quantities of milk can cause all sorts of problems! Well done for sorting the transport issues!
Good luck!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:33:00 am »

Hi HMM

---love to see some pictures of "the four muskateers" :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: ;D
 -good luck  :hshoe:

What are the in lamb ewes that are coming to you on Friday?
Tilly :wave:

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:51:55 am »
ewes are shetland type so should be really pretty!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:36:05 am »
Just make a note in your calendar now to vaccinate them with Heptavac P+ at four weeks at the latest. As these have come in to your famr you cannot be sure how much (if any) proper colcostrum they got soon after birth. Better safe than sorry.

I don't sterilise the lambs/goat kids bottles, just wash with really hot water and re-fill straight away, then store milk in fridge until next feeding.

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »
Hi HMM hope your new arrivials all getting on O.K

Here are a few photo`s of my two "bottle babies"this is Joey--very small at birth, popped a modified boot sock on him, which kept him lovely and warm!
Here is out in the sunshine today --about a week old now, and grown out of his sock!

Look at this little character! ;D --she is a leister longwool,her mum was not looking after her very well, so she`s been having a little bottled milk  and is getting on nicely now.

I think she looks like that fluffy creature in "gremlins" ;D

Tilly  :wave:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:49:45 pm by Tilly »

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:02:55 am »
the lambs are absolutely adorable, esp the last one, more like a teddy bear  ;D the first year I made jackets for mine I used the sleeve off my fleece, glad to hear we can all be resourceful when needed :D

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 08:51:49 am »
Oh Tilly, those pics are just adorable. :) I love the welly sock jacket.  We had a Gizmo look alike last year but yours wins the prize! ;D

Hardfeather

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 09:13:25 am »
I don't know if you're aware of the 'Shepherdess' lamb rearing bucket, are you? It is a very simple affair which is essentially a largish bucket, with a lid, which holds water which is kept at a constant temperature by the use of a heater/thermostat of the type used in aquaria.

An inner bucket holds the milk.

The outer bucket has teats just below the rim. Tubes bring milk from the bucket to the teats.

This feeder was invented by a sheep farmer's daughter (aged twelve, I think), and is widely used to rear lambs. It helps keep lambs growing evenly and stops them getting bloated bellies. I think they are about £130 new, but it is a simple thing to copy.

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 09:39:58 am »
We sell a lot of them - as far as Eire and France :

https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/shepherdess-lamb-feeder-free-5kg-sca-milk-replacer-p-1714.html

You are correct - they were invented by the manufacturers daughter (aged 12) who contracted orf from bottle feeding lambs.

They can also be used for rearing Goats, Foals - and have even been used on a Zebra!!!.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 02:33:27 pm »
here are a couple of pics of our lambs all four together and athos (white) and dartanion (black)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 09:20:00 am »
Lovely. :)

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 04:23:25 pm »
They are so cute hmm, I miss having little lambs about. Good luck with them  :hshoe:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS