Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Large Lamb Limping !! Joint ill?  (Read 18835 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Large Lamb Limping !! Joint ill?
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:44:40 pm »
Hi all

One of my ewe lambs is massive, alot larger than the others, Ive noticed today that she is slighty limping in the field on one of her back legs, she may have got a knock at the trough but I thought Id ask the question about joint ill? Ive heard of it before in calves, can anyone give advise on what causes joint ill and what the medication would be? Its hard to see if its the thigh or angle joint, if it doesnt start getting better over the next day and starts to get worse, other than calling the vet what would you give me for advise please?

regards    Andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Large Lamb Limping !! Joint ill?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:51:55 pm »
I was given to understand that joint ill is caused normally at birth when naval is not completely cleansed. Forgive me if I'm wrong. I always iodine at birth and they also get a pump of scour halt.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:54:02 pm »
All the navels had iodine, is that the only cause?

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:03:11 pm »
It is an infection which can be taken in at birth.  Sometimes no matter how clean and conscientious you are they still get it.  Keep an eye for a day or so and if no better catch the lamb and feel to see if/where there is any heat in the leg.

I am not a vet and would not tell you to do anything specific veterinary wise, but I treat lambs with joint ill with 5ml betamox LA and then repeat 3 days later.  If still no better speak to the vet about a stronger anti-biotic.

Remember it can be fatal if the lamb does not feed.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:13:40 pm »
I would agree that it is taken in at birth. The joint will probably be hot & swollen and very painful. If you can catch the lamb and check it's joints you can then make a decision what to do. Ask your vet if in any doubt.
I would recommend "The Veterinary Book for Sheep Farmers" at the worst it will show you what they can suffer from and give you a good guideline to work from.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:18:28 pm »
I would also check the lambs feet to make sure they are o.k.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:20:33 pm »
There are other causes of joint ill. Lambs of any age can get it, they can pick up infection from the soil through a cut or scratch. Often the open wounds made by rubber rings allow infection in. As said  if joint ill will be hot and swollen.    If a ewe has footrot she can pass this to her lamb/s in the form of joint ill this can lead to abcesses on the liver.    There is also navel ill in very young lambs where the navel gets pus filled. As a smallholder with few sheep the odds are you may never see any of these ,so dont panic ;D :wave:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:15:39 pm by shep53 »

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
what's your grass like? If its lush then it could be scald.Look for a reddening between the cleat of the hoof. Easily cured with an antibiotic spray from the vet.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 09:48:06 am »
One of my lambs got joint-ill two years ago. I'd used iodine on the navel but it was several weeks after birth. Vet said it could have been a cut or graze that allowed the infection in. We (including the vet) thought she was going to die. She had two huge doses of strong antibiotics from the vet and two courses of others that we gave her via the vet. He asked if he could do a PM on her!!!

Anyway, she's in lamb now and looks great.

But it is serious so maybe vet advice would be in order.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 10:56:20 am »
check its not a foot abscess

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »
Considering the age of your lambs, how big and strapping they are from your pics and the fact you have rough grass there I would go 99.9% its not joint ill!.....I have a hunch that you just have a big heavy lamb with scald/strip! Green AB spray from vet will sort it out nicely...do all of her feet not just affected one!

I had a lamb about 11 years ago that got joint ill and it was a lot younger .......they are most usually under 2-3 weeks......

I do know that from experience commercial type lambs are more prone to foot issues such as scald/strip as they have big feet and are heavy....!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 05:10:58 pm »
Thanks for all your views,

This morning she was looking a little better not so tender on the one back leg, i caught her up and felt her joints, there was no heat and didnt seem to be any swelling, I also checked her hoofs as I thought maybe a staple may have got lodged as there has been fencing done recently, but all was fine,she was eating her nuts and hay this morning so hopefully maybe she just had a knock.

Its really good to know for future events all a learning curve !!!

I will keep you posted

Andy

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:54:40 pm »
Andy, get some blue spray from your vets - I looked out last week to see the majority of my sheep limping  >:(  >:(  >:( , grass was quite wet and long and was aware of scald.  Sprayed all of their feet and they've been as good as new since.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:44 am »
Yes I have the blue anti biotic spray in stock,  Hopefully when I go and check them in a while she wont be limping and it was just a knock

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 08:55:06 am »
One of my ewes was dead lame in front last week. I caught her at the feed trough and pulled a thorn out of her foot - next day she was fine. I suppose hope for the best and plan for the worst is the best way with sheep  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS