Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clipping Angoras  (Read 2175 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Clipping Angoras
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:58:46 pm »
Hi - could anyone give me any advice on shearing Angora goats?  We only have 3 but they will need doing very soon.  We only managed to do one last September - it was so hard my son ended up with a bad back for a week!  Are there any battery clippers you could recommend? 

many thanks
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Clipping Angoras
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:49:17 pm »
We have angoras which our sheep shearer now shears as my husband can no longer shear them due to his balance problem.
We had an electric set of shears with the combs especially for angora fleece. As hubby was no shearer the goats stomachs were shorn first and then we put them into a head stand and sheared the rest. His fastest speed was 2 a morning. Ideally they should be shorn twice a year.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:05:58 pm »
Nah!Your whimps!...you ain't done nothing yet till you've shorn a Wensleydale with a pair of nail scissors!!!! ;D ;D ;D(It was an emergancy and all I could get hold of! ::)

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:51:47 pm »
You could try Horner shearing, they have motor in handpiece machines for sale at £130 and also stock angora goat combs for the machine http://www.hornershearing.com/index.html.
Hope this is of some use, if you need any advice please contact me as I shear some angora goats and might be able to offer some tips.

Philip :sheep:

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:42:33 pm »
we sheared our wensleydale, was really hard cos their skin is so loose and thin. much prefer hand shears. clipping horses is so much easier.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS