Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: breeding  (Read 3915 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
breeding
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:13:14 pm »
How are most of you breeding a single gilt?  AI? 

We are first time breeders

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: breeding
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:52:27 pm »
How are most of you breeding a single gilt?  AI? 

We are first time breeders
I dont AI I just use a boar and do it naturally, but Stevie would say AI for sure

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:28:25 pm »
We only want to breed once a year.  Ideally, little piggies each spring.

Do you keep a boar all the time?  Find a neighbor?  Send your girl to neighbor's boar?

So many questions.  If I waited to have them all answered we would never do anything.  So if it seems as if we are clueless we are!  But we figure we are as smart as the average bear and with a can do spirit we are up to the task!

Thanks in advance for all the help to come our way!

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:58:31 pm »
We only want to breed once a year.  Ideally, little piggies each spring.

Do you keep a boar all the time?  Find a neighbor?  Send your girl to neighbor's boar?

So many questions.  If I waited to have them all answered we would never do anything.  So if it seems as if we are clueless we are!  But we figure we are as smart as the average bear and with a can do spirit we are up to the task!

Thanks in advance for all the help to come our way!

I carry several boars in a paddock  but the experts will tell you that 15 sows to one boar is plenty.   Tough if you want all of them to farrow in the week, I guess you would have to increase the number of them

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:55:00 pm »
For just one sow I would stick to AI, its not really cost effective to keep a boar for less than 3 sows (IMHO)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:42:40 pm »
Agree with HM, AI is easy IF you get the dates right.  we have had some good success with it, but get someone experienced to show you how, or there are some good websites that explain it (someone will post here I'm sure)

Otherwise boar hire is also a good option.  Normally your gilt/sow will visit the boar, stay with him for two cycles to make sure and then come back. You normally pay for this service.

Some people will lend you boars if theirs aren't needed.  This may (not will, but may) mean that you have him for some time, as the owner is on no hurry to collect as you are feeding his stock, so ensure you have a clear agreement as to when it is going back !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:50:38 pm »
we AI ed and we think it worked 2nd time, but if it hadnt i think we wud have looked for a boar to buy. alot easier than u think.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 03:30:03 pm »

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:48 pm »
We AI'd Petal, worked second attempt.  We then tried to get Pepper in so we she would farrow when the youngsters were three months old.  AI simply didn't work with her (apparently very difficult to get a gilt in pig with AI - not sure how true that is).  Petal gave us three beautiful little piglets, the majority of which are now sat in my freezer!  Afer three (reasonably expensive) attempts she went off to visit the boar at Glenside Farm, we now expect her to farrow anytime from the 21st onwards of this month.  We're not sure which route we'll go down to get Petal back in - we'll see how successful Mr. Boar is!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:35:57 am »
I only know of 3 people who AI regularly, in all cases they have been successful with gilts and sows.  They are all quite experienced which may make a difference.  If you can take your sow to the boar rather than having to keep one that must be financially better.  Hope Petal gets in pig nice and quickly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS