Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jerusalem artichokes  (Read 3880 times)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Jerusalem artichokes
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:22:21 pm »
Help!  i have just got around to clearing my veg patch and I have a ton of them!  Any lovely recipes for me to try?  I Have done them with potatoes and horseradish in cream (delicious!) and have just found a pickle recipe but have plenty of scope if anyone has any ideas?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Jerusalem artichokes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:42:17 am »
Very good fried in butter - slice them up first. Also, just pop a few in the roasting tin with your meat. They cook pretty quickly, so probably only need about 45 minutes.

We've got loads aswell - love them, but the particular strain we seem to have are so powerful in the wind producing departement, that we have to eat them very sparingly.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:04:50 pm »
Hmmm...I almost put (f)artichokes in the title of this thread!  :-\. apparently, if you eat them little and often it lessens the effect!  (Also true for things like lentils and beans apparently too)

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »
My OH won't rough them after I made us Jeusalem Artichoke soup last year. We had to tether the duvet down that night  :-\  :D
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:03:40 pm »
Help!  i have just got around to clearing my veg patch and I have a ton of them!  Any lovely recipes for me to try?  I Have done them with potatoes and horseradish in cream (delicious!) and have just found a pickle recipe but have plenty of scope if anyone has any ideas?

That sounds good,  have you a recipe for that

Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:20:39 pm »
We are just going through last years batch. The taste and ease of cooking (roasting is great, and HFW has a great recipe in his last cooking book., the EVERYDAY one, for an artichoke bake) ALMOST make up for us singularly increasing the UK's contribution to global warming....

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:33:23 am »
Got a bumper crop after a friend gve me a dozen for planting, tried dophinoise (probably totally wrong) on sunday, although the portions were not that big the effects were so bad the wife is now asking me to plant something else in the patch next year. I have mentioned it might not be that easy to get them out, good job i put them well out f the way!!!!!!!!!!!. Is ther no way of getting rid of the effects it seems such a pity when they fill an empty producing time.

Rob.  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:21:20 pm »
I have mentioned it might not be that easy to get them out, good job i put them well out f the way!!!!!!!!!!!. Is ther no way of getting rid of the effects it seems such a pity when they fill an empty producing time.

A friend used to plant a field of 'em for the pigs to rootle up - they loved 'em! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS