Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fencing advice  (Read 3648 times)

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
fencing advice
« on: December 29, 2008, 08:47:04 pm »
hey all hope every one had a merry xmas and is looking forward to the new year
i need some fencing advice i need away to keep the poultry iam getting in the field as one of the boundrys is along a main road and i dont want to cause any accidents does any one have any ideas its a lrage fencing is around 500 meters in length  ther already is a 4 post and rail fence with stock netting  do u think this would be enough as i had planned to increset the hight of the fence by another 3-4 feet  by attaching large pst behing the main fence and place poultry wire over the top increasing the hight  i did think of poultry netting hoever i dont have mains supply

ps it would be a lot easyer to increase the hight of the fence on the road side than it would be to fence an area off as i have other stock on the sight as well
its a long narrow stretch  any ideas all welcome iam looked at so many different options iam become confused about which is the best  ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: fencing advice
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:45:42 pm »
That is a long field, but chicken wire is the only thing I know of to keep them in.  Depends also on what you have on either side as you may have to wire those too if they can get through there and into neighbouring fields then onto the road,  Sounds expensive!!!!  Can you perhaps section a small area off and move it around for them?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:11:20 pm »
have you clipped one wing on all birds will stop them taking off?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:36:35 pm »
They'll get through stock netting unless its pretty small gauge. Under the feathers they aren't very big. Ours will go over 6 foot if chased except the Legbars which are quite flighty compared to the heavy breeds like the Sussex. They can only get a couple of feet off the ground.

You can get solar powered electric fencing but I don't know how reliable it is especially in our climate.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:16:19 pm »
   I run my electric fence off a car battery (I have a spare battery on trickle charge in the shed). The fence is primarily to keep the pigs in,but the chickens won't go anywhere near the white nylon rope electric fencing,it's set at 4inches and 12inches above ground height. The stock fencing is for sheep and the chickens can get through it in other areas. A 500 metres long strip for chickens does seem somewhat excessive,(although I don't know the size of your flock),so why not go for the electrified chicken netting and strip graze them? Or how about a movable ark with a simple enclosed run that can be moved daily?

BTW the world record for chicken flight is a distance of 13 feet,so clip one wing!
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 02:10:31 pm »
BTW the world record for chicken flight is a distance of 13 feet,so clip one wing!

I'd heard it was 47 seconds so that means they fly at about one mile in 5 and a half hours. ;)  Gosh that's FAST! 8)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 05:53:42 pm »
hey  thanks for the info  the reason iam asking is i have to to move my hens from the currant location in a few months time to this new one on a long term lease
to clip one wing isnt an option there so many to do it  i had thought about an electric  fence  but the lenght was my worrie iam not sure if they would go even close to the fence as the noise from the other side  like i had said i was going to increase the fence hight any way to 6 foot including the bottom half of the fence its looking like ill use chicken wire across the whole lenght it was either that or chain link

strip grazing out the question as well again for the reason of to many

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS