Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: baptism of fire!!!  (Read 3490 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
baptism of fire!!!
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:07:02 pm »
We moved to Devon the week before Christmas 2009 into a house which hadn't been touched for 17 years or lived in for 2!  No heating or double glazing or insulation carpets - not even enough rooms to house our four children almost had us turning back thinking what have we done!!!

15 months (and another baby) later - yes we have worked out what causes it!  we have almost finished renovating/extending our home so at least all the children have a room and I actually have a kitchen heating and running water.

Today our 4 acres is bathed in sunshine and the world is a wonderful place.  I can see our chickens from the kitchen window, the shetland sheep should be here this week and we have a GOS sow arriving on 21 March.  By the end of April I am sure we will have replaced one chaos with another (piglets and lambs).  Luckily our neighbour is our vet (handy if there is an out of hours problem) and others have offered us use of some odd bits of land if we run short of grass.

Read all the books and looking forward to putting it into practice now. 

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: baptism of fire!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:23:28 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »
thanks - have to say forums are godsend - have put up a few posts and got helpful replies so thanks everyone.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:27:12 pm »
this site is amazing the folk are awesome  :wave:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:46:16 pm »
Hi and welcome from Sue in Worcestershire.  :wave:

When I moved into my place I reckoned it would take at least 5 years to get it how I wanted it - and as in my experience everything takes twice as long as you think I allowed 10 years, that was nearly 25 years ago now, but I will get it done (I will I will) ;D

all the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:53:21 pm »
we are now at the stage where hubby (who goes to work) thinks its just about finished and I (who stay at home all the time) know we will be 'finishing' off for ever!!!  if I can get a veg patch and some friut bushes in this year I will be thrilled - little things make me happy and I think its a wonderful life for the youngest three children.  The eldest two hate it but then again teenagers hate everything and I tell them they don' mind the fact that one day soon they will fly the nest and leave me - at least I will be happy with my spot here I can see the moor from my windows and its so peaceful.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:19:34 pm »
Hi welcome from Brittany, GOS perfect choice.   :pig: :pig: :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 02:46:01 pm »
Hello and welcome from Devon too  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:01:59 pm »
Hello and welcome from NW Leicestershire. You will find so much helpful advice here. My teenagers hate us living in the countryside but as you say teenagers hate everything and one day they will leave home and you've got to think about that too.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 03:07:57 pm »
 ;D  almost a parallel life to mine!! our house hadn't been lived in for about 2 years, was a nice blanket of flies to clean up on every floor, leaks, burst pipes, electrical fires all in first 24 hours of being here  ;)   house built 1902 and not a lot of modernisation post war so hands very full.

we have 4 children (obviously worked out the cause just slightly quicker than you lol!) and yes, on a sunny day its lovely out there - bleak midwinter in several feet of snow its fairly grim!

welcome to TAS  :wave:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 04:52:23 pm »
welcome form fife :wave:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 05:08:35 pm »
hi from cornwall, and best of luck with your projects!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:33 am »
Welcome from North Yorkshire.
Similar situation to you (but no sprogs) started in 2004 and is still ongoing................... Watch out for GOS though they are addictive and so so loveable. Best of luck with your sow and you know where we all are if you need anything.
Bestest Mandy  :pig: :wave:

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 07:50:58 pm »
we had four orphaned lambs arrive today - soooo cute all boys and kids loving bottle feeding (like having petting farm at home)!

chrispy4949

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 11:10:06 am »
Hi and welcome from Bulgaria. chrispy   :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS