Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost a Hive  (Read 3056 times)

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Lost a Hive
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:57:42 am »
I will write this as it my prompt others.

Was away for just over a week and all 4 hives were fine with fondant in place.  Came back yesterday and loads of dead bees at the front of my original strongest hive.  Checked today and all sadly were dead. 

With the oncoming temperature drop that is forcast for the following week it may be pertinant to check on your hives.  I was probably caught out by the shear number of bees in relation to the amount of food, however they were foraging 2 weeks ago and then the weather temperature dropped.

Fingers crossed for the other 3 hives.  Hope all is well with everyone elses.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Lost a Hive
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:17 pm »
Hiya Floyd  :wave:

So  :( to hear about your  :bee: s.  This weather is a nightmare (currently very windy & sleeting west of Glasgow as I type).

We've got 3 hives (having them as birthday & christmas prezzies), but only one has been stocked so far (as we only moved here just over a year ago from down south) - with a nucleus from the local Association early last autumn.  Gave them as much sugar syrup as they would take before the end of October & hoped for the best until things got the better of me just before Christmas - had to give them some candy for their prezzie  ;)

They are now on their 4th block - despite me adding massess of snowdrops, crocus & helebores to the garden - it's just too cold & wet for them to get out.  They've managed an initial cleansing flight so far & have ventured out a couple of brief times. 

I'm now going to attempt making some candy, as I have used the last one I bought in.  I have found some various recipies & am going to try a load tomorrow just adding vinegar to the mix - don't like some of the comments about cream of tartre & corn syrup ???

:pig: :chook: :dog: :bee:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS