Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rabbit pie!  (Read 4182 times)

princesspiggy

rabbit pie!
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:10:29 pm »
we killed our 1st lot of rabbits at the weekend. they were 7 mths, should have been done last month but it took a bit of psyching up to do the deed! (there were tears too) and one favourite who luckily turned out to be a doe, so has escaped the killing and has returned to the rabbit room!
i was amazed at how much easier it was to do than chickens, and alot quicker too. there was also a suprising amount of meat too, to say they are english rabbits, not really a meat breed.
we stretched and dried the skins, the dogs ate the heads etc. so nothing was wasted at all. we havent tried any yet. always takes me a while to be tempted if its me that kills anything.
 :bunny: :wave:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: rabbit pie!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:32:00 pm »
Well done :) i love rabbit as a meat ........ try it in a stew also as it uses the veg you have laying around and you can thicken the juice up really well and then make a pie out of the leftovers.  When it has been standing for a little while the flavor really comes out and makes a wonderful pie.  I am lucky as i can be really clinical about slaughtering animals and do not get attached

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:53:25 pm »
well done, mmmmmmmmmm rabbit pie yum yum  :wave:

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 06:06:37 pm »
Not too sure but the chicken cull for christmas dinner was OK, better than I thought but something about Bunnies that I would have to detatch more from!!!

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:42:50 pm »
One way we eat our rabbit is casseroled with prunes. It really is a lot better than it sounds! We originally ate this when we stayed in Bruge and it appeared to be a regional speciality.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS