Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bees for a Top Bar Hive  (Read 5139 times)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
Bees for a Top Bar Hive
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:56:51 am »
Last year for my BH birthday I paid for him to do a 10 week bee keeping course, I am now part way through building him a Top bar Hive for his 40th at the end of April. this is all  :bee: ing done without him knowing. Its my 1st attempt at woodwork since I was a girl (school) and if I say so myself its not looking bad. I have found lots of Info. and instructions on  http://www.biobees.com/

My problem is as he doesn't know I can't ask him to look for bees he'll suspect something. does anyone know any bee keepers in the Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Lincolnshire area who sells bees?

The other thing is if they come on frames how do I transfer them to a Top bar hive?

How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Bees for a Top Bar Hive
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:06:30 pm »
email derbyshire bee keepers association
they'll put you in touch with someone who has a swarm to sell soon
 :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee:

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:42:07 pm »
heres a video of transferring frames to a top bar hive

Moving bees from frames to a top bar hive

Let me know how it goes, i'm planning on having a go later in the year :)

ATF

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:10:30 pm »
Let me know how it goes, i'm planning on having a go later in the year :)

me too - just as soon as get some wood to build the hive. Oh and find some where to put the hive I don't think they be welcome on the allotment.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:03:38 pm »
Last year for my BH birthday I paid for him to do a 10 week bee keeping course, I am now part way through building him a Top bar Hive for his 40th at the end of April. this is all  :bee: ing done without him knowing. Its my 1st attempt at woodwork since I was a girl (school) and if I say so myself its not looking bad. I have found lots of Info. and instructions on  http://www.biobees.com/

My problem is as he doesn't know I can't ask him to look for bees he'll suspect something. does anyone know any bee keepers in the Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Lincolnshire area who sells bees?

The other thing is if they come on frames how do I transfer them to a Top bar hive?

Ceck on line to see if Thornes of wragby / Louth lincolnshire are still playing at selling  bees etc .  That way if they are you know you will be getting healthy bees to start up with .

Transfering the bees is done by tipping the contents of the box into the hive when it is cooler and dusk or slightly  dark . tap the frame the bees are on over the open hive  to make sure the queen is not left out the hive.. try not to squash any bees when replacing the lid.
If it is raining or windy   do it as quick as possible and get then covered up.

The bees will crawl into the hive and cluster to keep the queen warm .. have some sugar syrup solution handy in a feeder  to feed them don't use diluted honey .. it may contain  harmful bacteria or fungi spores
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Darren

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 04:43:22 pm »
this year I took 3 swarms and put them into top bar bait boxes to produce nucs using phils measurements then gave them to a friend (2 lots) and kept 1 lot next year I will make these available (any swarms I remove)once they have started comb building

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS