Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A complete novice with veg  (Read 2236 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
A complete novice with veg
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:36 pm »
My OH has just treated me to a polytunnel,the tunnel is 20x10ft have put it up this weekend and looks great,but i am a total novice when it comes to veg,i have bought some seeds that say sow indoors but does that mean i can sow them in my tunnel or does that mean indoors in the house.

Thanks

Karen
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:59:19 am by piggy »

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: A complete novice with veg
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:41 am »
 I would put them in a tray in soil in the tunnel house. I would have trays of water around to make it more humid...hence warm  and keepo the door shut during the night and open during the day to let out the old air and bring in the new.  Dont have your seed trays in a fast blowing breeze as they will dry out.  If it comes up really windy just close the tunnel door by half and see how that does.   Before the sun sets ......close the door totally and leave and the humidity will build up and keep the place warm till morning. You will have to play with this a little........as I am too far away to come show you.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:24:49 am »
Hi Karen. Lucky you  :) 8)
 It dependes on just whereabouts you are and what the seeds are.  Some things such as tomatoes, chillies, peppers, cucumbers and so on are very tender - which means that not only will they die in a frost, but also if the temp falls below a certain degree, which for cucumbers and chillies is about 14. So it's best to sow them in a warm place indoors, keep them potted on into slightly larger pots each time they fill the old ones, then as it comnes close to the last frosts for your area, harden them off (by putting them in the tunnel in the day and bringing them in at night,) before eventually planting them in the tunnel.
Other things which might not be ok outside, such as lettuce and radish, will be fine planted direct into your tunnel.
Sounds as if you need a good veggie book to go with your new tunnel so you can make the most of it  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:48:28 pm »
Hi Karen,

I'm in much the same situation, and have just got hold of a copy of "How to grow food in your Polytunnel all year round", by Mark Gatter and Andy McKee.

It's really good - lots of great ideas and tips, specifically for growing in a tunnel. I'd definitely recommend you get hold of a copy.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS