Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccinating sheep  (Read 3930 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Vaccinating sheep
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:53:52 pm »
We've just spent a happy half hour vaccinating our six ewes four weeks before they are due to lamb.

We got it done without too much trouble (sub cut in the side of the neck..... only one given "intrawool" and had to be repeated) but I think it was a bit of a carry-on.

Any top tips for next time?

(We used Heptavax)

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Vaccinating sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:15:24 pm »
I know the pack says the side of the neck is preferable, but BH always does it above the ribs behind the shoulder - it's MUCH easier to do - in a race, anyways. 

And for anyone who hasn't selected their 'system' yet : Heptavac STINGS, Covexin doesn't.  (Which means the sheep may jump when you've done them with Heptavac and hardly seem to notice the Covexin.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:57:26 pm »
Buy yourself an auto-injector.  You attach the bottle to the gun and it automatically draws up the right dose.  Heptavac or similar is well worth doing, the only year we didn't we had a few losses and then had to dose them all again at a later date!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:12:03 pm »
We always vaccinate in behind the elbow. Even in wooly sheep, this is usually a bit of skin without wool.

Beth

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 10:32:39 pm »
Buy yourself an auto-injector.  You attach the bottle to the gun and it automatically draws up the right dose.  Heptavac or similar is well worth doing, the only year we didn't we had a few losses and then had to dose them all again at a later date!

agree with this, it makes life a lot easier, and unlike (I hear) some of the multiple eartag applicators it works well. We used it for Heptavac P+ this year and last. No ouchy sheep either. We do it in the neck area but havent had any probs with that either.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS