Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are you doing this month? March  (Read 5145 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
What are you doing this month? March
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:33:30 am »
Hello all!

So what's happening with your goats just now?

We are having kids this month! First ones due at the beginning of next week, so I suppose any time now. We have 3 due over the next 10 days- all have been vacinated already, and I think I will give a vitamin supplement today as well. We have in a supply of treacle, and also Dettol, in case we need to help them. I have 3 AN males booked, so I just hope we get enough boys from the first 3 AN's to kid.

Have another 3 to kid at the end of March/beginning of April as well as 2 in mid April, then the two stragglers- who came back in season and aren't due until later (May/July!).

So how are all of your new arrivals?

Beth

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: What are you doing this month? March
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:34:24 pm »
Have 10 to kid in the next 6 days !!
Just waiting for a goatling to kid - making a bit if a meal of it !!

Then there are another 8 over the next 3 weeks or so.

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:39:38 pm »
you'l be busy then but very cute.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:01:27 pm »
will any of you have anyone that you'd maybe like to sell (with a pal as well please) :)

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 07:17:56 pm »
I also am looking for a milker and or kid preferably AN if anyone has stock they want to sell PM me  :goat:  :wave:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »
Kidding - first one (BT) due any time now, second one (GG) on March 17th. She is unfortunately not eating well just now, so trying to drench her with Prop Glycol and feeding anything she might possibly like. But she's still bossing everyone around, so not on death's door I gúess....

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:57:06 am »
We will have stock for sale (in central Scotland) Just not sure which ones yet, we won't know for definite until they have all kidded and are sorted out, and we see what their udders look like.

Definitely have a BT goatling for sale, and a BT type milker (though may already have a buyer for her). May have other milkers, but all BT types, well one is white, but is still 3/4 BT.

Have one AN milker who will be available mid May- but I think I already have two sets of people interested in her....The other two AN first kidders we have hopes of them looking well with nice udders, and if this is the case they will be kept for showing, if not possibly one of these for sale too.

Have one pure BT milker for sale, but she is not due until 4th July, and she is hard to milk by hand, so may not be suitable for a smallholding. 

I do know another two AN breeders in the Perthshire area who might have animals for sale- if anyone is interested particularly in AN's in Scotland.

Beth

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:28 am »
My two will be doing what they always do, lounge around, frolic, eat loads of hay and sit in sunshine if there is any.  Quite boring compared to you all! :D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 07:56:45 pm »
we are having a routine visit from AW on tuesday, our first one. Otherwise its just a normal goaty month here too
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:10:04 pm »
let us know how it goes L, we've yet to have that pleasure....

as for goats this month, the goats are currently sulking as its cold and raining again!  Gera is in kid but we dont know when exactly it'll arrive.  Hoping for girls...

still looking at building an extension to house Cesar the billy, then I can keep Max as his companion.  but practically, its a no go and the little boy will need a new home when the kid (s) arrive.

running repairs needed to the fences & shed, as always...
Little Blue

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:30:22 pm »
i think wer giving up hope with our other nanny being pregnant. i think she is just fat, was supposed to be due feb. teats are tiny. the other nanny never looked big before she had hers tho. iv felt both their bellies and they feel the same. we were lucky to geta nanny kid tho so no big deal. have many of u tried AI with goats, iv only done it with pigs, do u need a vet/professional to do it? what month is ideal?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 09:29:48 pm »
I only tried AI for the first time this year. If you want to register the kids, you need to get a "professional" to do it. But that can be anyone who has been on the British Goat Society course, or your vet. There isn't a huge amount of semen available yet, I don't think enough people are using it really, either in terms of using it on their females, or in terms of getting semen taken from the males. I was a bit pessimistic about it as having used AI, we didn't think she had held. However, now think she has held to the AI after all, so am quite excited to see what we get!

A friend of mine has become registered for AI through her college course (at Scottish Agricultural College) so she came up and did the AI for me. It was a bit expensive that way though, as I have to pay her fuel to come up, and she had to come twice, so it cost me £188 to get her done twice.

Beth

princesspiggy

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:06:07 pm »
thats expensive. theres supposed to be 6 bagot billies available for AI this year with RBST. do genus just do cows?

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:13:08 pm »
Our 2 100% does have kidded - see post in Market Place.  Are madly trying to finnish fencing field to get all goats out grazing.  We have some more goats due to kid in the next couple of months.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS