Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: introducing new hens.  (Read 3388 times)

chickettes

• Joined Nov 2008
introducing new hens.
« on: December 21, 2008, 05:40:30 pm »
hi,
I got 2ex bats on Saturday, I moved the 2black rocks into a shed and put the x-bats in the coop/run. Will the x-bats and the 18wk old black rocks 'live' together ok? The black rocks strut around the coop checking the new girls out. Cheers.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: introducing new hens.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:11:06 pm »
I've never had any problems - I just shove the new ones in with the previous occupants about half an hour before bedtime and put plenty feed down on the ground for them to peck at together, then they all go in and I shut the door. As far as I'm concerned they can have their arguments in private!  However, ex batts I keep separate till they have grown some feathers in case they are looked in as 'different'
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickettes

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:34:54 am »
the black rocks have went off their food. One of the X-bats constantly pecks at B.R's even when they sitting chilling under pampas grass. It seems totally violent 2the B.R's and doesn't bother with the other X-Bat. Am I being over sensitive?  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:02:12 pm »
They will need time to establish a pecking order. So long as the "victim" can get away and isn't being relentlessly pursued, I'd relax an let hem work it out. I let out 14 weeks Black Rocks out on Saturday and they've been getting a lesson in hen etiquette from the big girls. Mostly they ignore each other unless the wee ones get above their station when the corn goes out!

chickettes

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 04:14:25 pm »
must just be too sensitive with them then. The X-bats don't let the Rocks in to roost though, and peck at them when they try to get in coop. I keep them in back garden and it has been a bit noisey  :) I'm nightshift 2night so hopefully they will be quiet. Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS