Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what are the best options?  (Read 3025 times)

sueann

• Joined Mar 2011
what are the best options?
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:05:30 pm »
Hi,  I need to fence off about 40' x 30' from a field of permanent pasture to use as a mini allotment (why drive to an allotment, if I could get one, when I can walk a couple of minutes from the house?!).  Question is what would be the best way to do this?  A local farmer friend uses the land for a small flock of ewes and their lambs as well as 12-15 heifers.  Would electric tape at the top and 'sheep' fencing be best, or would tape plus 2-3 strand of electric wire nearer the ground be better?  I know cows are about the nosiest of animals and could easily knock the fence over.  I don't want to use post and rail (too pricey) and I'd like to use as few fence poles as I can, as the land is limestone with a very poor covering of top soil. The farmer is happy to turn over the land for me and will knock the posts in as well - OH is too old and creaky to use a pole thingey

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: what are the best options?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »
I would use sheep netting plus either a line of barb on top to stop the cattle leaning on it or a line of electric tape for the same purpose.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:57:50 pm »
We have found that the only way to keep our neighbours' cattle (surrounded by them) from demolishing our hedges is to use extra long posts and sheep mesh, with at least 2 top wires.  The chap who runs his cattle on your land would be able to judge where the topmost wire should go - chin height to his tallest beasts.  I hate barbed wire as it only injures animals and having that next to your working area would mean you would be scratched too.  Whether it's barbed or plain seems to make no difference to whether the cattle lean over or not.   Probably not a good idea to economise on the number of posts either - there's a huge weight to a cow when she leans on the fence.

We were in a slightly similar situation when we first moved here, and a local farmer turned our veg patch with a plough.  We are still fighting the couch grass, plus the thistles etc which blew in onto the exposed soil.  It's a huge amount of work to take off the turf by hand and in your situation would not be worth it, but do be prepared to cover what has been ploughed to stop any weeds getting a hold.

Growing your own veggies is so important and you will thrive on the produce.  I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on  :wave:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:00:06 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:12:02 pm »
Sheep net for the sheep and electic wire (half the price of tape )on top for the cattle. Barb on the top wont stop cattle reaching over especialy for nice vegs.

sueann

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:45:36 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, all of you.  I'm inclined to top off with the tape (despite the extra cost) in the hope that I might see it and remember not to touch!!  I rather feel, too, that an electric wire or tape would be more effective against incredibly inquisitive heifers with their great wet noses than barbed wire - or am I just being over-optimistic?  I'll head off to the people in Buxton (Leigh's who come with better recommendations round here than CWG) and get something organised, otherwise my farmer tenant-cum-friend will be here with his tractor before I know what's what.  I'm just hopeful that the interfering Peak Park doesn't throw a wobbly about using my own land for growing vegetables - they have been known to do so before (I'd never live in a National Park again).  I'll let you know how we get on

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:59:24 pm »
as per rosemarys post, netting and barbed wire on top wont need electric tape, cows respect barbed wire

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:52:25 pm »
I just read and re-read this post. It could just be terminological inexactitudes but if anyone is suggesting using floppy electric sheep netting I'd advise against it.

If on the other hand netting means strained stock fence then I'm in agreement, especially with a line of electric round the top (preferably on stand-offs).  And white tape is easier to see though won't last as anything like as long and carries higher electrical resistance)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:40 am »
And dont forget rabbit netting for the real pest of the veg garden.  My plot is next to my neighbours who used to keep cattle and is sheep netting with barb on the top and half depth of rabbit netting around the bottom.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS