Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: birth of a foal  (Read 17138 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
birth of a foal
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:23:54 pm »
being our first time can you give the sgns to watch for.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: birth of a foal
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:30:04 pm »
milk dripping, udder full possibly

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:50:59 pm »
sorry for first short message was on the phone didnt know how urgent it was,

when is she due?? every mare is different, her belly will change shape as the foal moves into position, possible dripping milk,

she will get agitated, when its well on its way, i have only bred two and both mares were totally different, first mare went off and didnt want anyone there, i checked her at 7.30am in the morning NO signs that foal was coming at all i got a phone call an hour and a half later to say the foal was in the field, my last mare wanted lots of love and reassurance lots of belly rubbing, and cuddles, i spent 5 nights sleeping with her going there at 10pm every night with my hot water bottle, she either stood over me or lay down next to me touching me( what an experience) on the 5th night i turned up at 10 pm with hot water bottle opened the stable door just as her waters broke, her baby was out by 10.45, it was incredible,

good luck  :horse: :hshoe: :wave:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:33:22 pm »
i remember about 15 yrs ago i was camping out in the next stable for a few nights before the actual foal thinking i was about 12 ish then and it was cold nights i also learnt the word brankston hicks and what that meant as few nights on the row it happend all good fun 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:41:02 pm »
she had a slight discharge with a very small amout of blood in it. i take it its the same as humans the cervical plug clearing. i would love to have her in a stable but she has never been in one and panics when we have tried. being so late on in pregnancy we did not want to push it. the daughter has been claiming that she was on the verge of dropping the foal for the last month. as the weather seems to be improving and even our waterlogged fields are drying. never had a pony in foal so its very nervous.

Hardfeather

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 02:08:50 am »
Mares can hold onto their foals for around twenty five days after due date, till conditions suit them for foaling down. The weather, environmental stress, including human interference, can disturb some mares and make them very loath to get on with it.

Some mares wax up at their teats before foaling, some don't. There will be observable changes in the mare's mammaries but, again, there is much variation between individuals.

In short, there is no way of precisely predicting an imminent foaling, other than by tests to reveal hormone levels. Even then that is more likely to tell you when she isn't going to foal than when she is.

You may be surprised how many maiden mares just foal quietly, usually in the early morning without needing any human aid, although it is, understandably, a tense time for the owner.

Both of my foals were born outside, in April, and got to their feet and sucked without any trouble. The mare cleansed after each, no trouble, and, after a few hours of peace, was quite happy to allow us to handle her foals. I work on a stud, also, and we've had very few problems over the years.

There are many considerations when foaling mares, but the most important one, given that the foal is born and viable, is the cleansing or afterbirth. You only have about six hours before you have to react very quickly and definitely if your mare hasn't cleansed by herself by then. If you call the vet at that point, he still has time to get to you and deal with the situation and expect a positive outcome. Failure to assist her within ten hours is neglect.

Never attempt to pull a cleansing from a mare if she doesn't seem to be getting on with it. Rather, double it up upon itself and tie it up off the floor with a piece of string or baler twine. This allows the force of gravity to act on it and aid the process, whilst keeping it fairly clean and free of contamination from bedding/soil.

If the mare seems to cleanse herself, you must carefully lay the cleansing out on the ground and try to determine that it is all there, and that there is nothing retained by the mare. When laid fully out, you should easily identify the twin horns of the uterus, and the open ended uterus which housed the foetus. A cleansing looks a bit like an old-fashioned pair of ladies bloomers; a common description.

If at any point post-birth, your mare should show signs of dullness, raised temperature, or colic, you should suspect a retention of some of the cleansing, and urgently seek veterinary assistance. Failure to do so may result in serious consequences for your mare.

Once the foal is on its feet and sucking, you may wish to leave mare and foal together without disturbance so that they can bond. Some mares are very 'foal-proud' and may not want you anywhere near their foal, whilst some are quite at ease with visitors, but be careful as some newly-foaled mares can be dangerous.

Hopfully everything will go well for you all, and you will get a strong foal and a milky, loving dam, but if you do encounter problems, a good vet is your best friend.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:59 am »
and remember to throw or hang the after birth on top of a hedge, its good luck.

it is a nerve wrecking time and truly amazing just like any baby being born a suppose,

i found this website very usefull it has alot of pictures, but as other messages say no two mares are the same esp a first timer,

http://www.roadsend.org/farm/Mares/Sophie/SophieWatch2006.htm

my mini shetland was a month early and the day she gave birth i was sat watching her she came over backed herself on to my leg as i was sat on a seat, so i could rub her when she walked away i had the tinyiest amount of milk on my jeans, that was the only milk that came until the foal came out, that night.

Check the field the foal will be born in, i know you probably have but its always worth double checking, for anything that might not be foal friendly,

also its worth mentioning water buckets, if you have a water trough in your field cover it over, foales have been known to drown if there mother gives birth near to or over the water supply,

Good luck and try to relax and enjoy the moment,

have you any idea when she is due??  :hshoe: :wave:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:39:59 am »
Mares foaling outside often pick their spot in the field days before foaling, birth is quick if all is well any sign of foal not being in the right position, feet and nose first get your vet as time is something you do not get a lot off. I am sure your Shetland will do a grand job even for a first foaling  :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:34:36 am »
Any news? Hope she has her foal today it is like summer!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 06:29:01 pm »
nope shes holding on. its been very nice the last few days almost tempted to thing spring is here but i know we will get hit again by winter but it would be very nice if it gave us a miss this year.

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 09:16:54 am »
Any news?  :)
Lynn :)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 09:24:51 am »
nope shes chewing on her food. still hanging on.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 06:46:44 pm »
Bet she gives you a surprise  ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 06:54:21 pm »
not yet she has not. the daughter is going in circles predicting the time. im sure she will drop the foal when shes ready.

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 07:02:43 pm »
Hope all goes well, waiting with you  :)  :horse:
Lynn :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS