Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maxtra Petrol Tiller/Rotovator  (Read 21267 times)

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
Maxtra Petrol Tiller/Rotovator
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:30:49 pm »
I know they are not everyone's cup of tea, but with over 300 sq.mtrs of vegetable garden to virgin dig I thought I would treat myself to a rotovator. I hired one from a local tool hire place and wasn't impressed as it just scratched the surface.

I was looking in E-bay the other day and saw and advert for a Maxtra ML-GR001, buy new. I decided to go for it as it said the RRP was £1599 and it was on sale for £340 including delivery, looked like a bargain. It came in a crate and had to be built up, the instructions are very clear and easy to follow (although being a mechanical engineer might have helped), also it was delivered in 2 days from placing the order.

This morning, it being a nice sunny dry day, although not warm, here in the north east of Scotland I decided to give it a test run.

To say I'm impressed is an understatement, what a great peice of kit, the depth is adjustable and if you work through the area gradually dropping the cutters it easily works through the ground to give a fine deep tilth.

The plan is to use it to turn the surface of our paddocks and to regrass for the ponies. I'm sure this will manage it easily.

Best buy I've made since we moved in last August.

John.

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Maxtra Petrol Tiller/Rotovator
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:04:52 am »
had a look on ebay for you tiller     is togs are on the back  i used a similar  once like that to get in a garden i could not get in with a tractor worked fine on virgin soil might have to do two passes or more

Wellieboots

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:22:43 pm »
I'm with ya all the way, I bought a "MTD T245 FRONT TINE TILLER" last year from mowdirect & think it is the dogs dangly bits for getting our ground ready for this years new lifestyle of self sufficiency.

Starts first time, has adjustable width blades and depth control, isn't too noisy & works a treat!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:37:23 am »
I was looking in E-bay the other day and saw and advert for a Maxtra ML-GR001, buy new. I decided to go for it as it said the RRP was £1599 and it was on sale for £340 including delivery, looked like a bargain. It came in a crate and had to be built up, the instructions are very clear and easy to follow (although being a mechanical engineer might have helped), also it was delivered in 2 days from placing the order.

John.

I've been looking at these 6.5hp tillers on ebay for a while. I'm stuck between getting a tractor mounted tiller for my old grey fergie and something self contained that can be used in confined spaces. As you have already bought and tried one - can you let me know if the wheels shown are just for transportation or to they help handling whilst working?

Cheers
Margaret

Wellieboots

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:05:01 pm »
The jockey wheel at the front is only for transporting the tiller to where it is going to be used. It is sprung loaded & you MUST lift it before starting to till. The forward tines effectively drive the tiller forward and it is very easy to control although it does require a small amount of force to manage it.
Moving is around using the jockey wheel isn't too bad although you need to lift it quite high to stop the tines dragging & I tend to pull it rather than push it to/from the garage as I have a loose stone area which makes pushing much harder!
Hope this helps

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:49:39 pm »
Indeed - but the pics of the 6.5HP Maxtra show two tractor tyres....

Anyway - I took the plunge and bought one on Sunday - it was delivered today so if anyone is interested....

The two tyres are held on with linch pins and can be made either free wheeling for transport, or driven for tilling depending on which holes are used. Just what I wanted as with the tiller weighing in excess of 70kg I didn't want to drag that around.

Cheers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS