Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 8 ewes and lambs are out in the field, shall i change the ewe nuts  (Read 2892 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Hi all

8 of my first 10 ewes are out in the field with their lambs and doing well, they have hay and I feed them 18% ewe nuts once a day that they go mad for, someone suggested that I should revert back to the 16% now as there is no need to feed the 18% as its just a waste of money?  what are your views on this one?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: 8 ewes and lambs are out in the field, shall i change the ewe nuts
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »
I feed mine 18 for the first couple of weeks to give the ewes a bit to feed up on and help the demand on milk as the lambs grow quickly but then I go down as the lambs are starting to take more creep and not as demanding on mum but I am a bit unconventional and others may do different

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:00:51 pm »
Since you are feeding hay do i assume you have very little grass, if you let the ewes loose too much condition the milk will go off them and it wont come back easily with out good feed or grass, saveing afew pounds may be false economy. If you are feeding over 1kg  better to give two feeds

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 01:06:11 pm »
im useing 18% from last week when they where 3 weeks off lambing (was on 16% and sugur beet before) and will use it till i stop feeding and grass is growing well was told 18% was much better for milk and the more milk the lambs get the better they are also i got a ton as it was cheaper so iv only got 18%  ;D but it shouldnt hurt. we will see if the lambs do better than last year the ewes seam to be better for ir

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:41:01 pm »
cheers for that, I will keep them on 18% for a few more weeks and hope the grass starts growng soon, i will post a new topic and show some of the lambs in the field
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS