Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Delivering Poultry  (Read 4205 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Delivering Poultry
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:28:40 pm »
Hi All,

a member of my breed club has decided to reduce his stock and I have agreed to take one of his unwanted cockerels. I live in East Yorkshire and he lives on the edge of the Brecon beacons in Wales. He had hoped to find someone local who was traveling up north to transport the bird part of the way and I would meet them somewhere to collect it but this is looking less likely.

I'm not in a position to travel down there at present so can anyone suggest any ways round this? Is paying for the bird to be transported possible? Would it cost alot of money to transport a such a small cargo?

Buffy

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Delivering Poultry
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:43:14 pm »
how far would it be going i no of a few companys that would transport it as they also do reptiles dogs and stuff but it can be a bit expensive

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:59:08 pm »
Hi Adam,

its around 240 miles door to door and bout 4.5 hours journey time. I think a proffessional firm of animal transporters would probably cost me alot of money?

Buffy

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:03:29 pm »
is this chicken that vital to you way to far to go.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:06:31 pm »
I wouldn't bother personally. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:42:22 pm »

Have a look Google to see if you've a local group of pigeon fanciers - they transport birds all over the country for racing and if you get lucky maybe you can get your cockerel a ride on one of their trucks..

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:22:25 pm »
I can remember a time when you could put poultry, dogs etc. on the train in the care of the guard to be collected by the purchaser. Would that not be possible now?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 09:50:09 pm »
I can remember a time when you could put poultry, dogs etc. on the train in the care of the guard to be collected by the purchaser. Would that not be possible now?
They don't have guard's vans anymore.  All the Guard does is blow a whistle to warn that the train is about to go and then again to tell the driver to go. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:03:20 am »
Apparently there has been some changes as well for transporting poultry. I don't know myself just a comment a friend made.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:14:37 am »
Thank you all for your ideas,

I did wonder if you could put them on a train but I'm not sure that you cany any more. The bird is not valuable as his comb does not meet show standard and it is not essential for me have him so its not worth spending alot of time and money to get him here. Its just a friend who owns a biker friendly B and B has decided to concentrate on large fowl and wanted to find the surplus male a good home. When I initially agreed to take him the owner thought that one of his regulars would be able to bring him up but it's not looking likely.

The pigeon club idea sounds a good one though I imagine that finding some one heading from here to there might be tricky.

Perhaps I may just have to decline the offer.

Thanks any way for all your good ideas,

Buffy

bamford6

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 10:19:01 am »
speak to happey chicks                                                            http://www.happychicks.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:20:33 am by bamford6 »

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 07:11:57 pm »
if you join rfuk there are a few on there you may get lucky and manage to find someone going your way soon

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 10:48:25 pm »
Hi All,

thanks for all your suggestions. I did finally manage to get the cockerel back home thanks to a man who lived in yorkshire who put him and his little croad friend in the boot of his car and met me in a motorway service station to hand him over.

Here he is, his names Bertie and he is a 4 month old Croad Langshan Bantam. Edward, my resident Blue croad bantam is a bit non plussed by him but I think hes cute. :love:

Buffy

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 07:03:43 pm »

Oh wow! He's gorgeous!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 09:09:52 pm »
Thanks Ambrel,

I think he's lovely too. He should give me some lovely chicks when ge is mature.

Buffy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS