Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: most popular pure-breed for selling pork?  (Read 8393 times)

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: most popular pure-breed for selling pork?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 05:00:16 pm »
I hardly know anything on bloodlines (only know the bits I need to know), and I have not said at any point that i know all. I know one or two things on the subject of different breeds and how they taste (and what I personally think they should be like) having worked with them over the past 5 years. Thank you for the informative answer I'm sure many people will find it interesting. Now I think its best to put aside your prejudice towards me and get on with the persons thread.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

patchy1990

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 05:20:57 pm »
Gloucester Old Spot, but thats probably me being biased!  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »
eve looks like TS will be busy checking out the pubs unless they have the paper work to prove it it is what they say it is

Radio 4 yesterday, Trading Standards found pubs/restaurants selling Welsh Lamb that was product of NZ and I forget the other thing that was supposed to be Welsh also but came from Devon, apparently they are checking up on the products now.

Possibly thanks to the GOS club and the Waitrose GOS bacon scandal.  (Waitrose scandal not GOSclub)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 09:54:48 am »
GOS as a club are actively persuing several mis-use of their name products thro' TS & patent courts. It is exceedingly expensive & time consuming for the club to do so and we have not had any help to do this from outside of the club. It is the breed that seems to suffer the most abuse of mis-use of name as it is probably the most popular pig breed seen on pub & restaurant menus, most of the goods ones can actually tell you the name of the farm it came from, if they can't chances are its not the real McCoy!
On best breeds for pork i have heard the Middle White makes scrumptious pork whilst the Saddleback is a cracking bacon pig. Theres loads of choice out there so just go with what takes your fancy, so long as its free range & high welfare most people aren't bothered about the breed.
Best Mandy

princesspiggy

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 10:36:48 am »
thanks guys
i think tammie pork is just amazing but wondered if it would be too fatty for everyones taste. i always seem to read its best for bacon/hams etc but our experience of butcher cured meat from our tammies (for whatever reason) wasnt great.
which breed would be equally as hardy as an outdoor woodland pig as a tammie? (scotland weather)  :yum:

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 10:47:28 am »
any of the traditional and modern breeds it is just getting one you like and are happy with

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:50 am »
I sat for bridgimire pig arcs a couple of years back and they are in scotland and they had large blacks, tammies, OSB and they seemed to do well up there, producing good sized piglets.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 06:57:20 pm »
When I had tammies I could never get enough fat on them, but they ran like race horses .....  :pig: :horse:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS