Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boar age  (Read 4904 times)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
Boar age
« on: February 26, 2011, 12:22:37 pm »
How old does a boar need to be do his job properly with the sows?We got a boar that is last years spring pig probably March and we have 2 year old sows. He is mostly berkshire and sows are yorkshire and hampshire. He is quite a bit smaller but we didn't have the facilities yet for a seperate boar pen.I'm hoping he can do the deed this spring so I can mostly summer pasture the little guys.Thanks

robert waddell

Re: Boar age
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 12:55:22 pm »
why on earth do you want to cross a small boar with a large sow. Yorkshire pigs do not feature on the BPA breed list of pigs, is this a new name  of pig that you are inventing (please confirm the modern name for this pig)? We have pedigree Hampshire's and know what size they can grow to. Poor wee Berkshire he will be sniffing their knees and not the parts that need to be sniffed. Unless you have holes in your paddock that the gilts can stand in and the boar be on higher ground the job may be done. I can see the point of crossing to produce a better shaped pig or quicker maturing, had the cross been the other way Berkshire gilts crossed with Hampshire boar but then that is only my opinion and I am  all for pedigree pigs rather than dolly mixtures. Some boars can be active from 6 months or younger. A young boar put in with more mature gilts, the gilts tend to take the piss out of the boar just our observation with pigs.

Our boars are very happy running with there respective girlfriends until 1-2 weeks before farrowing. They all are very quiet and non aggressive, if they were to be segregated in separate boar pens they would not be as quiet and easily worked again this is our observation from our pigs. Hope all this is of benefit to you. The big thing is have fun with your pig keeping, also what works for one may not be suitable for others.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:51:46 pm »
Boris was 10 months old when we introduced him to our girls who were 1. He had no problems hit the spot first time with both and he stayed with them til 1 week before farrowing. Even then he was penned next to them so he didn't pine.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:06:16 pm »
Agree with both lillian & helen, If he was born last March he's coming up a year old now so should be well able to go about his business, however as Lillian says older sows tend not to like young boars and can be quite aggressive especially if he is considerably smaller than they are. If he is a lot smaller he's never going to reach and he'll just get frustrated and if he's been bullied quite likeley to be put off the job for life!! ::)
I would spend some time watching them and if he is getting bullied or not able to do the job you'll have to remove him to a pen next door where he can still see them and hope he grows a bit quicker which if he's mainly Berkshire is unlikely as they're quite short pigs (heightwise)
HTH
Mandy

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 10:40:05 pm »
Yorkshire pig should be another name for a large white. As far as I can tell the americans call the large white a Yorkshire pig but they have now improved it, but thats what it orginally was. Ahh LL is from canada.
The sows can either dig a pit to help the boar get on to them or they can lie down or you can build a crate. I have known of a gilt to dig a pit to allow a smaller boar to reach in the past.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:43:14 pm by Pel »
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:16:56 am »
Let me clarify a bit -we have Yorkshire as a breed here-probably from what I can tell close to what you call a large white.I am Canadian not American we tend to be a little touchy about that no offense intended.We have here a large pig industry that has all but just about made extinct any other breeds than those that will grow fast  and lean.I didn't realise that the berks were so small as the ones I have seen have been as large as my gilts last year.As for cross breeds they are the hardiest in many ways here. We have severe temps and lots of snow in the winter,many of the pig breeds cannnot survive our cold.The berkshire has a hardiness we use for crossing here as well as an improvement on the flavour.Only the fat content is too high to sell the meat on a straight berkshire. The York/Hamp cross produces a larger pig but the flavour is much less. I will watch and see what happens if they start picking on him I can sell him pretty easy and start looking again for another.

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:21:01 pm »
Sorry, I did know about the canadians not liked being associated with americans, I just edited my post to add where you were from without changing the last bit, sorry should have re-written. I thought the Lillan person was being a bit rude by not checking where you were from, and that in general the majority of our pigs are bigger over the water (whether they are in USA or canada) . If he does get picked on, try putting him in his own pen and one at a time, if he still gets picked on i'd reccomened selling him on and getting a new bigger one in. You'll find out soon enough give him more than one cycle to have a go though, as if he isnt used to how grumpy/hormonal they get he might not have luck first time round but maybe second.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 02:05:11 pm »
hello there pel this is the Lillian person  i did know where lostlambs originated from and was well aware that Canadians and yanks don't like being put in the same melting pot had you been a bit more astute you would see in other postings that we have Hampshire's

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 05:08:17 pm »
I was actually talking about the Yorkshire breeding, if you had read my post. I really didnt mean to offend lostlambs, and If I have done so I'm more than willing to PM him and say sorry personally. There is nothing wrong with a cross bred pig especially in tough conditions.

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:01 pm »
Certainly no offense is taken by any comments. I'm here to learn as much as I can in a place where people can speak their minds freely.Canadians and Americans hold much different views on many things and I like to think we both respect each others differences.I think though that each of us likes to be identified by their own area.The sows will be going thru their cycle again soon so it shouldn't be long before we see the results. I've noticed the sows can get a little cranky with him-usually one at a time but the cold weather is keeping them bedded down altogether.Maybe they figure he's tolerable as long as he's contributing body heat :)

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:21:59 pm »
Tell us how he gets on. Which part of canada are you from? My nephew went over to vancoover (spelling??) and just around that area, so he didnt see many pigs (not that he is into pigs) for a year, and said how cold it got.

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 04:10:33 am »
I'm in central Saskatchewan-the prairie region.The winter has been long and cold here. Last week doing chores the wind chill was -50C. The thermometer read -42C. It is still cold-31C tonight.Takes me longer to get dressed for the cold than to do them somedays.The sheep and cows eat alot when it's this cold and we have to make sure their energy is high enough in the feed to keep them warm.I just got in another 38 round bales today that will take me well into the spring.The pigs live outside with shelters and lots of straw. they will be pretty happy to see spring this year-I pasture them along with the sheep and cows in the summer.Last year they did better than the sheep in staying in the fence.The bottom went out of the pig barns last 2 years here so the pork production is mostly gone for now in Saskatchewan-everyone is looking for 1 or 2 weanlings to raise for themselves if they have an acreage. Growing your own food is just starting to be popular here.Most farmers are retired or retiring and there's not too many younger people staying on the farms anymore.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS