Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first infestation of the year  (Read 2775 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
first infestation of the year
« on: February 26, 2011, 10:01:22 am »
our boy is troubled again , so he had spot on and a good dousing in DE last night. I didn't have my glasses on but my daughter thought they looked more like lice than mites, but hidden under the feathers all over his backside - I won't put on any grizzly pics this time  :o Horrid. I hope we were in time before he could spread them to the girls or on his visits to the duck house (which are discouraged!!) . It seems so early in the year to have started!  :chook: :&>

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: first infestation of the year
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 02:16:51 pm »
It sounds like lice as the vent area is popular with them,

I have one bird that occasionally suffers from them but they dont seem to affect the others. Plonking her bum in the DE seems to do the trick along with a handful under each wing. they dont seem to be influenced by the wether like red mite that go dormant in the cold months. I suppose if they live on the birds, then the birds are always warm whatever the weather. I keep a check on her though as sometimes you think you have got them and if you miss a couple themn they are soon back with avengence!

Buffy

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:40:43 pm »
yay spring is here. i found a goose version at christmas very strange shape.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:53:04 pm »
I found lice on one of my hens in December (!) -icky, persistant things!! good shaking of powder and we are clear again and she is full of feathers but on the bright side, got to agree with shetland paul, it means spring is sprung really
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:02:01 pm »
its strange how most of the chickens don't seem to get hit hard with them but a few suffer a lot.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:32:09 pm »
Hmmm, we've noticed the same with a few of the children at my daughters school  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS