Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Canola feed for sheep?  (Read 4405 times)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
Canola feed for sheep?
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:51:13 am »
I have tested my hay and it is short on protein this year-probably due to the horrible wet year last and when I talked to the ag guy he suggested adding 1/4 lb canola meal or pellet to 3/4 lb corn or oats. I haven't heard of anyone feeding this yet and worry I might have other problems with them that are to lamb end of April. Has anyone fed canola to pregnant ewes? Do I need to adjust any mineral with this?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Canola feed for sheep?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:44:40 am »
Sorry, I haven't heard of canola.  I use a pre-mixed coarse mix which has rolled peas, maize, and other grains and ewe pencils in it.  Do you have access to ewe pencils with a stated protein content?  Here we get 16% and 18% - the latter for ewes approaching lambing.  It is probably a bit more expensive than straight grains, but easier to work out just what they are getting, bioth proteins and minerals.  We also give a molassed mineral lick.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 03:15:25 pm »
Straights are more expensive now than processed feeds !  How mad is that !

Canola meal will presumably be a by-product of Canola oil - one of those bad oils with too much Omega 6.
It'll be much like soya meal, I guess.  I wouldn't use either of them.

I use straight oats with sugarbeet nuts and just a handful of ewebol pellets.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:16:17 pm »
canola is oilseed rape

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:41:07 pm »

I use straight oats with sugarbeet nuts and just a handful of ewebol pellets.
Hi janeislay

How much do you feed per ewe - I presume that when feeding pencils they are more concentrated than feeding a mix of 'straight' feed so if feeding 8oz of ewe pencils what amount of 'mixed' grains would be the equivilant.
I only have 8 sheep and mix oats - sugarbeet shreds - flaked maize - barley - coarse mix and a small amount of ewe pencils in a tub and feed twice a day, but am always wondering if I'm feeding to much or not enough :-\

What are ewebol pellets please...
You are never to old to learn something new

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:29:00 am »
Thought this was probably a new thing-I haven't found anyone that has fed canola meal so I'm going to try to find an alternative.We don't have sugarbeet here and what are ewe pencils?.We have a creep feed -pellets made of different grains for the lambs but nothing like what I am hearing of ewe nuts-what are these made of ? Thanks

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:23 pm »
Hi Lostlambs,

Ewe pencils are ewe nuts - being from a horse background I would have called them nuts, but apparently sheep people call them 'pencils'.

They are the same as 'creep pellets' only for ewes -different make up percentage of grains and vitimins.

I still hope someone will tell me the different ration ratio between 'nuts/pencils' and the mix of grains I give.
You are never to old to learn something new

waterhouse

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »
I feed this stuff from Allen & Page because it's what my supplier has and the sheep like it.  Sheep mix is like muesli and costs £9.75 while the ewe nuts seem to be what other people call pencils, are an extruded pellet and cost £8.35/20kg

http://www.smallholderfeed.co.uk/Products/Sheep/Default.aspx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS