Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which Breed for newbie pig keepers?  (Read 6876 times)

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Which Breed for newbie pig keepers?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 08:40:43 am »
Hatty,

Where abouts in South Yorkshire are you?? We are Jnc 31 of M1 and just starting out with Pigs and take our delivery of weaners a week Saturday.

We have found a few breeders / pig suppliers in the area and can perhaps point you in the right direction (not saying our direction is right!!)

Maybe we could help eachother out somewhere along the way??

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 10:17:02 pm »
I always tell prospective pig-keepers to try as many breeds (as long as they are suitable for requirements) as they can when they are just starting out.
Try two of one breed, then two of another, etc. You learn a lot about your own likes and dislikes (both whilst rearing and when you get the meat back from the abattoir).
Nice thing about rearing for pork is that it's not a long-term committment (max four months), so you CAN change your mind next time round. Experiment and enjoy.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 02:24:20 pm »
Large white is probably a good one to try or start out with.   It is relatively  quiet and a good milker.     :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 02:42:06 pm »
Large white are great pigs, however I found them not to be so hardy but that may just have been the strain from here.  I still think GOS are unbeatable.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 04:54:34 pm »
Large white is probably a good one to try or start out with.   It is relatively  quiet and a good milker.     :wave:

Now your confusing me didn't plan on milking the pigs lol  :wave: if I can get some locally I think we are going to go for OSB after reading as much as I could get my hands on this week they seem a good all-rounder and they are cute too :pig:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 06:25:34 pm »

I suppose it depends if you're wanting to slaughter them for meat.

We've got three Kune Kunes which we've had since early January and they're lovely.

We've never had any intention of slaughtering these but thought they'd be a good starter breed for us to learn how to look after them, before expanding into meat production with more suitable breeds later.

Thoroughly recommended.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS