Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: breeding new chicks?  (Read 1815 times)

Jonny

• Joined Feb 2011
breeding new chicks?
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:51:44 pm »
Hi
i have read that if you have a broody that is hatching chicks then you should remove the empty shells to give the other chicks more room, but then i also read this can upset the hen causing her to go off the brood?
Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
Re: breeding new chicks?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:08:52 pm »

Personally I wouldn’t especially at the risk of disturbing mum……I’ve bred poultry for many years and have always let the broody do the work. Some hens with experience will remove the shells at the point of hatching i.e. boot them to the side of the nest…..but shells also do disintegrate under the weight of the hen.
Personally I would leave well alone and let them get on with it.

Good luck

Dave

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:55:09 am »
Hi,

I tend to agree. A good broody will know what shes doing. It may put her off but even if it dosent she get quite agressive with you if she thinks you are threatening her babies. I know my girls would.

If she gets off the nest for some food and takes the first to hatch with her to the food bowl you mad be able to discreatly slip your hand in and disguard the shells but I find with broodies, the more you leave them to it, the happier they are.

Buffy 

Eggs, Chicks & Hens

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:45:29 am »
I always thought that the broody fed some of the shells to the chicks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS