Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Steinbacher geese - trio - for sale  (Read 12069 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Steinbacher geese - trio - for sale
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:06:06 pm »
I have a related trio of 2010 hatch Steinbacher geese for sale. They are the blue colour (pale grey in fact) and are quite rare, as hard to breed.
Beautiful, friendly geese. If you want pet geese, these are the ones. They'll eat from your hand and even when the geese are sitting the worst the gander does is hiss (unlike some breeds!)
Please PM if interested.
Oh, we're near Kirkby Stephen on Cumbria/N Yorks border.

Here they are:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Steinbacher geese - trio - for sale
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23:09 pm »
They're beautiful!  If only you were a little further North!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:10:47 am »
Happy to get them as far as Carlisle, if that helps.
J

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:10:35 pm »
LOL! I did try for you Jaykay, really I did...... however, it turns out that Mrs Womble thinks geese should be white, so I know I've lost that one!!  ::)

Good luck with the sale!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 07:20:14 am »
Thanks Womble  :D In fact there a couple of people interested in them, so I'm hopeful they'll find a new home soon   :)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:53:13 am »
Hi, did you get my reply email yesterday, goosepimple
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:33:05 am »
Hi, only the first PM, which I replied to. Nothing back?
J

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 09:55:40 am »
Hi Jaykay

BH is wanting geese again and I like the sound (and look) of this breed.  You aren't too far away from us, I think.

When will they be ready to go and how much do you want for them?  And (being a goose novice myself, or maybe that's just goose...), does trio mean a he and 2 shes, and the he unrelated? 

Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:14 am »
Sorry, don't know why that didn't go through - price is good but just need confirmation that there is at least 1 female involved in the trio - I could collect in a week or so as suits - if you could let me know their situation as regards food/housing/security so I could replicate here to avoid stress - beautiful and tranquil here, they will love it and get full attention/care - we rent out our mill and cottage (we live in the millers house) and you would be welcome to come and visit them if you like!  Regards, goosepimple.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 11:37:55 am »
Hi, yes two geese and a gander. Well, I'm pretty sure!

They share a house (4x4 ft) which we shut them in at dusk and let out at dawn. Straw for bedding. During the day they have free roam of about an acre of hilly land with a beck running through it. Shared with assorted ducks, a tup and the dogs the other side of a stock fence- so they're used to dogs though hiss at them! Very quiet here too so your place sounds perfect.

They're eating layers pellets at the moment - tend to switch to proper waterfowl rations around now ad preparing for breeding. Next weekend - sat morning/ early pm or sun pm would be fine.

Let me know, I'm really glad they've found a good new home :-)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 11:41:28 am »
Hi Sally, sorry cross posts and I think Goosepimple is having them. But there will probably be more goslings this year. Yes, a trio is two geese and a gander. In this case, the gander is the same hatch as the geese so related. Ok for pets but not for breeding though sometimes you can arrange a gander swap!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 12:59:56 pm »
Hello, yes we would love to take them and next weekend will be fine - here is my email:aap.13@btinternet.com - I usually check it 3 times daily and can email you my phone no etc on it if that's ok - I think it will take about 2hrs to get to you - I can bring a dog crate - if you're tricky to find would you mind meeting me somewhere?  Many thanks, sorry you didn't get my earlier mail, don't know what happened there.  I do realise they are related and we will have to do a male swap probably - there is a lady in Peebles (also in Scottish Borders) who breeds them but doesn't always sell them so I may be able to swap with her. Many thanks - please let me know how you stop them flying away (so i don't wave goodbye to my savings as soon as they're let out)!  Kind regards, goosepimple

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 04:45:28 pm »
Hi, they've never flown, nor have their parents - they flap their wings when they get up in the morning, but don't take off. Sometimes they 'swim' under the surface of the water, flapping their wings like mad too.

What we did when we brought home their parents (also in a dog crate  :D) was to make a pen (we used sheep hurdles) around their house for a few days, while they learned where it was that they were to go to bed. After that, we just herded them to bed at dusk.

We call 'geese, geese, geese' and they come! And then we walk them into their house by following slowly behind them with our arms stretched out wide - like a giant goose  ;)

I'll email you our address, phone no's and directions  :)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 07:42:04 pm »
Got that thanks, was working today so apologies for late reply.  See you all soon.  Kind regards, Amanda

nat12002

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 04:54:49 pm »
Hi there, i'm looking for a Steinbacher gander to go with my lonely goose which I hatched last year, you dont know where I could get one do you?
I'm based in Lincoln, but will travel for one as I have been looking for a long time now.

Regards, Nathan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS