Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Had a good idea ....  (Read 13780 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Had a good idea ....
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:29:42 pm »
or so I thought.

I have quite a few goats, lots of hens, and our recent additions, two Kune Kune piglets.

Neighbours often leave me their stale/leftover bread, and veg peelings, which are gratefully received by our mob!!  It got me thinking, lots of people throw their waste food in the bin (our green garden waste bins can now be used for such things, not that we ever put any in of course!) 

My idea was to leave a lidded tub by the gate, asking people to put their surplus veg and fruit etc in for the animals.  Then I realised......not allowed to feed stuff from  a kitchen.

What  a shame, and what a waste of food that my animals would enjoy.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: Had a good idea ....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:47 pm »
I agree. I hate waste of any kind. There must be a way of using this material.

Wouldn't leave an open tub outside our house tho'........... wouldn't like to think 1) what would go in it?? and 2) whether it would actually stay there  ;D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:39:26 pm »
Roxy, does that not just apply to pigs ?  :&>

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »
 ;D  Mmm.....yes, you never know what you would find in the food bin.  Although at least I could monitor the food, whereas I do suspect people just chuck stuff over the gate, and no telling what it is.  Its been devoured by the gang before I get there.

One neighbour did ask if she could give my goats her left over salad.  I went in the field and she had chucked it over alright - complete with salad cream and onions.  Needless to say the goats were not impressed.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:42:08 pm »
No, I am sure it applies to hens - or anything we are likely to eat, or eat the produce from?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 07:00:32 am »
we had this discussion on meat on a different thread. Depends on if you are selling the eggs. That's probably the case for all the animals then.  :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:56 am »
Given Ian's recent experiences, I think he might be worrie about corpses  :o

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:53:29 am »

That's what the Krays used to feed to pigs though  :o
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 08:55:48 am »
Didn't the authorities collect household waste scraps for farmer's pigs during the war? I'm sure I saw something about that on TV a while ago. (not that old!!!)

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:06:08 am »
"Pig Swill" was collected into the 1960's - I know because the farmer used to pick it up from the school - everything left over from School Dinners.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:07:37 am »

That's what the Krays used to feed to pigs though  :o

One of the first things Steve's son commented on when he met our pigs....that we could use them to 'get rid of people'  ;)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:09:07 am »
I remember a hospital where they fed ALL waste, inlcuding removed organs to their own pigs - in the 60s  :&>

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:00 am »
I remember a hospital where they fed ALL waste, inlcuding removed organs to their own pigs - in the 60s  :&>

:o crikey!!

actually this has reminded me that a local first school was actually collecting scraps in a bin for a little lads pet pig (who I believe was going to become dinner at some point) this was only last year...naughty!!

of course I never feed my animals kitchen scraps. Oh no, I feed us the scraps - the meals I prepare are for the hens so its not technically waste  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:42:18 am »
At our local garage they have a wheelie bin out the back that they put in unsold bread, fruit and veg for a local charity farm, maybe you could ask a garage, as I understand it, that food should be ok to feed as it has not been in the kitchen, nuts, I know!

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:45:27 am »
What is actually classed as kitchen waste that we cant feed the hens? Sorry, slightly confused by this thread as I didnt know there were rules? ???

We give our hens all our peelings, salads and sometimes left overs from dinner. We tend to eat their eggs ourselves though I do sell a dozen a week to 2 friends? Am I doing something wrong  ??? :-[ :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS