Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: auto culto  (Read 10868 times)

rustyme

auto culto
« on: December 16, 2008, 03:44:43 pm »
I have just got an old bit of equipment called an Auto Culto. It is very similar to an Allen Scythe. They are sometimes called walk behind tractors or two wheel tractors and were made from the early 1900's till nowdays really . The modern versions are much the same , just with plastic covers and bright colours.  The one I have is a 1930's model with a Villiers two stroke engine , I won't know which model the engine is till I have the unit here with me , but it may be about 1.5 hp. The villiers engines were very economical on fuel and in motor bikes would do about 150-200 miles to the gallon (petrol). So the Auto Culto should be cheap to run (fingers crossed). The machines were made to carry out all sorts of tasks on a smallholding , from cutting long grass on rough ground to hay making ,cutting wheat, barley etc , to ploughing , harrowing, weeding , lifting spuds , running water pumps and sawmills even small generators. So as long as I can get it going  ::) ::) it should be a very handy little item. Villiers engines were and are very easy to work on , very few working parts and very reliable and hard working. The one I have differs from an Allen Scythe in that the cutter bar fits on the right hand side behind the wheel, instead of in front on Allen Scythes . There are no tools with it (apart from the finger bar), but it will be easy to knock up any that I need or convert other units to fit. Here is a youtube video of an Allen Scythe in action , it is very similar to the Auto Culto, most Allen Sythes even had the same Villiers engines in them :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oQJYNZW-kGw&feature=related

I should be able to get some pics of the AC soon , will post a link for them when I do .

cheers

Russ

here is a link to a site about garden tractors. On it are a couple of pics of Auto Culto's, the top one is almost exactly the same as mine. Scroll down the page to reach the Auto Culto section .

http://homepages.tesco.net/~felicity.laxton/garden_tractors.htm#AUTO-CULTO

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:50:07 pm by rustyme »

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: auto culto
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:17:10 pm »
so are you gonna do a tom and barbara good on it, put a trailer on the back and go shopping rusty ;D ;D

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 08:51:01 pm »
funny you should mention that , yes !!!! I will use it for running about. Very easy to knock up a trailer and seat . I can just picture PC Plods face " what the **** is that ??"  ::) :o  very versatile little things they are ....Now if it had a diesel engine ? I could use sunflower oil grown on the land.....free transtport...oh well  very cheap will do .  ;D

Cheers

Russ

woodsman

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 05:26:59 pm »
may i join the in with the praise of two wheel tractors ?!i own and operate a bucher m300k . usually with a 3ft cutter deck . have recently got a 5ft scissor bar .for years i had petrol mag engines powering them , but now have one with kubota diesel ,which uses next to no fuel ,compared to petrol engines .(this kubota has developed a fault - when warm it won't start , leave it 30 mins and is fine -any ideas ?)     any road i love the bucher -it saves hours of brushcutting .
the  main body is fairly indestructable ,with clutches ,i believe , on each hub ,for steering .   small twin wheels , and large cages which i rareley use nowadays . it will go anywhere with these cages on , but i am getting too old to follow it there !
    amongst the large scrap pile of bits , there is a 30 inch cylinder mower attachment , awaiting that spare moment/restoration .
If it's too steep to plough , put sheep on it , if the sheep fall off , plant trees .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS