Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what do you do with discarded/non viable eggs when incubating?  (Read 3447 times)

acresareace123

• Joined Mar 2010
what do you do with discarded/non viable eggs when incubating?
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:07:02 am »
first time incubating my own chicken's eggs

when candling, how long do you leave it before deciding an egg is not viable, and once you have done, what do you do with them? can they go to the dogs or back to the chickens if cooked, or must they just be thrown? :farmer:

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Re: what do you do with discarded/non viable eggs when incubating?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:11:33 am »
Depends if you are confident in your candling abilities!
Anything I am absolutely sure of being a duffer I throw in the outside bin. :)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:16:47 am »
when candling, how long do you leave it before deciding an egg is not viable, and once you have done, what do you do with them? can they go to the dogs or back to the chickens if cooked, or must they just be thrown?

If they don't candle as ok, don't put them back into the incubator, throw them away. Don't feed them (I never feed the eggs back to my birds, nor do I give them the eggshell).

:chook:

acresareace123

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:51 am »
thanks fairly confident as have incubated before, just not my own birds in house

seems such a shame to throw away eggs now after having chickens lol   :farmer:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:39:38 pm »
any dud eggs i smash on the compost heap  all bio degradeable if your fairly confident you will be able to tell from day 10 i recently candled my mums as its her 1st time in years so out of 10 i found 3 ok and put them all back in as was just unsure so i put them back in candled at day 15 and got 5 out of 10 so 5 went in the bin  now 2 have pipped and the 3rd is cheeping  the other 2 is a possible of dudd so as its only day 19 and they have pipped  iwill leave them in till day 21 and then as its so close to time up it just a few days more

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 06:34:51 pm »
if you compost you risk rats & fox geting the taste....

I bin mine - usually after opening them to see if its fertile & stopped developing, or infertile (not that I can do anything much about it, I just like to know.... )
Little Blue

acresareace123

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:08:59 pm »
so they can still be fertile, even if no veins are visible by 10 days? why would some be so slow to start?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS