Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cheese making supplies  (Read 12668 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
cheese making supplies
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:12:26 pm »
can someone point me in the direction of a good supplier?

need to do some research i have a plan cos i love cheese...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: cheese making supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:56 pm »
I make my own from our goats' milk.
I use either Moorlands  -  http://www.cheesemaking.co.uk/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=home.html&cart_id=2555201_26618

or smallholding supplies.

sometimes odd bits come up on e-bay, but dont waste your money on stuff you can manage without.
  a thermometer is a must

get yourself a book first (Katie Thears' cheesemaking & dairying or something like that) and dont be frightened by talk of cheese presses or safe mould!!
  easy cheese is soft cheese....

good luck!  :)
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:58:08 pm »
Ascott Smallholding supplies has all you need. I have made quite a few cheeses, all fresh and mostly soft last year from my own goats milk. OH has just built a cheese press, as I think they are overpriced. Got some moulds, love to make coloummier!

I also use a yoghurtmaker all summer.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:37:26 pm »
I just went on a cheesemaking course fr a ay and am inspired!  Have used Ascott and I they were really good and helpful and quick!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:20:20 am »
Perfect timing for this thread. I'd bought Ricki Carroll's Home Cheese Making book early last week and have been reading up on the basics since. Just placed an order for some equipment and starter supplies with Ascott an hour ago and looking forward to getting started!

I went with their top end starter kit, eventually. Had been going to start cheaper with the soft cheese kit, then spotted the press is also good for fruit and I've been wanting to learn to make cyder for a while now - seemed like a good chance to kill two birds with one stone ... and then make some form of cheese out of their carcasses (well I couldn't bring myself to defoul the pure pure cyder, could I?!).

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:55:27 am »
I'd love to make my own cheese but the thought of having to use supermarket milk is just offputting. Anyone has a goat or cow in Fife and too much milk , please, please, let me know  ;) :&>

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:06:22 am »
I tend to take the view that using less than ideal ingedients while learning is fine ... then once competent, find a source of good quality produce.

Supermarket milk definintely not ideal ... but by far the easiest and cheapest way to make errors initially  ;)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:00:39 am »
I tend to take the view that using less than ideal ingedients while learning is fine ... then once competent, find a source of good quality produce.

Supermarket milk definintely not ideal ... but by far the easiest and cheapest way to make errors initially  ;)

thats my plan practice on supermarket milk first then if happy with that source a better milk supply...

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 05:27:54 pm »
Very excited as my very posh bain marie arrived this morning!  rushing off to the supermarket first thing tomorrow to do some of that mistake-making!  :P

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »
Hello, I'm a student of dairying so have had a fair bit of time to play with recipes and equipment!
If you are making a soft lactic cheese then a good ladle will be the making of the cheese. Coquard, based in france, do the best by far, they will last for years and make life much easier (and taste better!) It's pretty easy to order and get delivered.
Moorlands are good too.... but they do sell a lot of equipment that you can get much cheaper elsewhere, but it's not marketed as specific for cheesemaking.
Ascott are also good, don't bother with their butter churns though. Total waste of money, just use an empty jam jar if you are only making enough for one household.
If it's starters that you're after then I cannot recommend Orchard Valley highly enough. They are based in herefordshire and re-package the starters into quantities that are practical for a small cheesemaker. They also sell Rennet and Annatto.

Hope this helps,
McR

Oh, and if you are pre-draining the curd then go to ikea and buy a plain white pillow case, boil it, use it as you would the cheese cloths that are sold at 10x the price!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 05:11:33 pm »
great advice McRennet .... any chance you can post up a few recipes / tips, especially for butter making (need some confidence to go beyind simple soft cheese, ice cream & yogurt!)
Little Blue

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 07:59:38 pm »
great thread - lots of useful advice here, thanks

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 09:46:33 am »
great advice McRennet .... any chance you can post up a few recipes / tips, especially for butter making (need some confidence to go beyind simple soft cheese, ice cream & yogurt!)

Butter is VERY easy to make, far easier than cheese! And it is lovely

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 08:43:25 pm »
tell me!!
;D
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 09:41:30 pm »
Butter - just shake some ripe (just past its Use-by date) double cream in a jar (with lid on) once butter has formed, wash with lots of water, the keep kneeding it with a couple of forks and get all the water out. I have done it with shop-bought cream, but would love to have a try with my own goats milk cream... when I have a milking machine and about as many goats to milk as Beth....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS