Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick Chicken  (Read 4114 times)

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
Sick Chicken
« on: December 14, 2008, 05:18:31 pm »
Help Please - I have a poorly chicken, she can stand but not walk, is eating and drinking ok. I have isolated her from the others.
I have read about a disease called Bumblefoot, could it be this?
I would hate to lose her. Any advice please

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sick Chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:29:09 pm »
Bumblefoot will cause swelling - it's like an abcess on the foot caused usually by an injury that gets infected. We've got one that has it - I took her to the vet who said we coudl have antibiotics (which he wasn't very confident about) or an operation to drain it. We went for the antibiotics - they didn't really work but the swelling seems to have gone into a callus and she's fine apart from a bit of a limp. She was always mobile though - just had a limp.

I've always isolated poorly chooks and given thema  chance - I usually work them just in case and give them some food treats - sardines etc to tempt the appetite. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You'll know one way or the other within about 48hours.

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:17:11 pm »
She seems a little better, I am making her stand up a couple of times a day and carrying her outside to go to the loo, she seems to know I am trying to help.
Its not bumblefoot, I thought it might be the weather we have had nothing but rain for weeks ( Normandy) and the ground is very wet however I was speaking to a french neighbour today, he has young ones in his basement, about 5-6 months old, and 2 of them have the same symptoms as mine (mine is about 2 years old) 

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:21:38 pm »
feel the crop is it hard, undigested food in it, weve had this problem in wet cold weather, try trickling some cooking oil down it until it improves.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »
You'll never believe this but I have one with the same symptoms. She's kind of shuffling- obviously not comfortable. I gave her some wormer (always my first port of call) and oil soaked bread today but will try the oil tomorrow morning. I thought she looked abit better at lunchtime but I was on a flying visit from the office so didn't have time for a close look

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 06:24:54 am »
Its not the crop problem, that seems fine, but she is not improving, I have had her on antibiotics for 2 days.
I'll give her another couple of days and then make a decision about what to do.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:58:04 pm »
Mine's dead - so good luck with yours.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 12:05:40 am »
Sorry, Rosemary, not nice to lose any of them. 

Velcro - what did the vet say when you got the antibiotics
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS