Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jam and Chutney labelling requirements  (Read 3793 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Jam and Chutney labelling requirements
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:34 pm »
I am currently wading my way through the 25 page document from the Food Standard Agency on labelling requirements and I just may have lost the will to live :(

Does anyone know exactly what is required in Scotland to be able to legally sell one's produce?

Many thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Jam and Chutney labelling requirements
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:44:36 pm »
I don't know all the in's and out's..........................but I know a lady who does  ;) ;D
Message Anke - she sells her honey :yum:I'm sure she'll be able to help you make a bit of sense of it.
How did your wee council man get on when he came out ? All good ?
HTH
Karen x

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:08:09 am »
I know someone who has just had to change all her labelling as it did not fit with regulations - she was not happy.

You need to put your contact details on, and she was forced to change the name of some of her products. Hot red pepper jelly - had to become hot red pepper relish - apparently because it's not made of fruit! Onion marmalade was another name that they took offence at but I can't remember if it bacame a relish or a jam or something else. There were silly little things like that. And she was no longer allowed to sell flavoured vegetable oils - because of the risk of botulism poisoning! There were other things but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »
Re honey, Thorne's catalogue explains what needs to be on the label. I can't find my current copy atm (usual state of mess in the house...), but I know it needs the following:
Contact name and address (enough so that you can be traced), quantity in jar (both in pounds/ounces and metric, don't know why...), a BBE, and country of origin. I only sell/barter my honey directly, so not sure if it would be different through a shop. With honey you don't need any extra ingredients list, but I think that would need to be on any back label? Allergy info?

I would also think that trading standards might have some info, as they would be the ones chasing you in the first instance.

I am afraid not much help, just think it's a minefield....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS