Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing  (Read 10297 times)

Seth

• Joined Dec 2008
  • France
    • Compact tractors
Re: Fencing
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:58 am »
Thanks for all your replies.

I think i Knew the answer to this one, I was just hoping someone would tell me I didn't need a permanent fence. I am in France at the moment so I will put my wellies on and pace it out ???

Happy new year to you all.

Seth.

Lemming

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 11:23:56 pm »
We've been keeping pigs for about 6 years, and we've found that nothing will keep a pig from getting out of any kind of enclosure if it really wants to. The trick is, therefore, to encourage it to stay home...

We try and feed at the same times every day. That way, the pigs know when the next lot of food will be due, and will wait in rather than go foraging. Because they're outside, with plenty of dirt to get their snouts into, they don't get bored; too small an enclosure is a bad idea.

The only fencing which discourages them is electric. They get the hang of it very quickly. We used to have 2 brood sows, one very dominant; she used to test the electric wire once a day by shoving her sister into it and seeing if she squealed. As soon as the fence battery went low, she was through the wire and off exploring.

We spent a lot of money on posts and conventional wire netting and barbed wire before we tried electric; all wasted. The brood sows used to love scratching their necks and ears on the barbed wire in summer, when the heat made them itchy.

I always feed the pigs from the same bucket, which is bright yellow. When they get out, all I have to do to get them back in is load food into the yellow bucket, and they trot along after me like spaniels as I lead them back into the pen. Early on, I made the mistake of trying to chase them back in with loud cries, threats and foul language. This just spooked them and made them determined not to do anything I wanted them to.

Hope this helps

Tom

barbel

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 04:17:08 pm »
Hi,

We're hopefully getting some pigs soon and are in the process of deciding on fencing. We've been told that a good solution is to dig a foot or so down and to fence from that depth up. Is this a sensible option? I'd rather stay away from barbed wire and electric if at all possible....

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Andy

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 05:18:04 pm »
finally got my pigs in to pasture.

I bought them at 8weeks and keep them in a shed of the barn for 4 weeks and now they are out on the old turnip patch and electric fence. they are getting a 1/4 of it now and will rotate them every few weeks

hoping to slaughter by end of may (sound right? )

barbel

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 09:32:09 am »
Hi there,

I was just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on whether digging down and putting fencing down at a depth of say 6 - 12 inches will stop pigs escaping? I've heard from a couple of people that this is I need to do. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks,

Andy

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 01:25:16 pm »
We've done that round the veg garden to stop rabbits but not for the pigs. Ours make pretty short work of chicken netting, then it becomes dangerous. I think you get special pig netting that's more robust.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS