Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Did someone say this was addictive?  (Read 2105 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Did someone say this was addictive?
« on: February 19, 2011, 12:53:58 pm »
I am sure that when I first joined this forum to get advice on getting our first hens, someone said it was addictive . . .  ::)

We have just been out to get ourselves some more little ladies - a blue hybrid, Sussex Star and Speckled Star, taking our little flock up to 6.  :D ;D And on the way back the OH was already discussing extending our run so we can get even more. He didnt want any in the first place!  ;D

Right now the Beast (our ex-bat) is making sure the newbies know who is boss. The breeder we just went to said that ex-batts tend to be more vicious to newbies . . . How long does it take to settle in?   ???

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Did someone say this was addictive?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:28:33 pm »
oh yes, very addictive!! I went from 3 to 14 in about a year  ;) having said that, we sell eggs at the farm gate and word has got out about our dark brown marans eggs so might have to get more hens to meet the new orders!!

settling time varies but my lot have taken about 2-3 days of in house bickering. Keep some purple spray in case you have blood shed but on the whole I think you have to let them get on with establishing their pecking order (certainly to a degree, intervention really does extend their settling in period) keep an eye out though. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 01:45:23 pm »
we started with 6

soon became 9

now trying to sort a plan to allow me space to run 20+ egg birds

also looking to do eating chickens for the first time this year as well

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 02:30:41 pm »
And it dosn't stop there if you have the space, we are now up to 80 birds!!

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »
We started off with 4 black rocks, now have 55 hens, 3 turkeys, 4 ducks and 30 eggs in the incubator. So definately addictive.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »
im addicted also, started with 4 we then got 8 and 2 ducks and im definately getting more this spring  :wave:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 05:45:31 pm »
Hi,

I think the answer to your question about how long does the settling in take....it depends on the temperament of the birds and the amount of food and space available. Basically, the more docile the breed and the more even tempered the most dominant hen ( like mine ) then introducing new birds is pretty uneventful and blood is never shed.

I start my newbies off in there own coop and let the other birds visit. Their first introduction is to let the birds range together with water and feed stations in two different places. This seems to allow everyone their own space and the new birds are put back in their own coop at the end of the day. Eventually the newbiews start to join the established birds on a night in the main coop and when they do I make sure that I let them all out early the next morning to avoid any tension.

However with regard to ex bats I read many postings and articles on how dominant and agressive these birds can be with other less dominant hens so you may find that your settling down period is longer. lots of space and reducing competion for food always helps.

Buffy

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 05:48:06 pm »
we started with 12 then another 3 and just got another 5 and picking up our 6 turkeys next week !!!!
deffo addictive
our 6 new weaners arrived this week too
i love my life,,,,,,,, want more land so we can start breeding
(the pigs not me!!!!!) :o

Ruby Tuesday

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 06:41:44 am »
 If you think thats addictive, just wait till you start incubating and hatching your own. :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS