Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new to Shetlands  (Read 3664 times)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
new to Shetlands
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:42:43 pm »
I am just new to Shetlands,just bought a small flock last fall.I am wondering if they need any different handling than my larger commercial cross that are Charollais/Hampshire. The Shetlands are not too common here and my vet doesn't even handle many sheep to begin with.Here most run cattle or grain farm.I usually deworm and vaccinate about 8 weeks before lambing and that is coming in mid April.I have only heard of a couple breeders and they are in Alberta ,the next province over. Any information or tips somebody has would be great. Thanks

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: new to Shetlands
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:36:48 pm »
One advantage, they are a lot smaller so easier to do feet etc solo even when theres a large number. They tend to 'scatter' more than' flock 'so are best if they are bucket trained from an early age! Ours give lambs that are half twins and half singles consistently (this is to a Shetland tup). Fencing should 'look' good (even if an bit wobbly in practice, if it looks high and solid enough I find they dont bother trying....unless there is little grass in their field and lots the other side of the fence....We vaccinate (Heptavac P+) about six weeks before lambing with a booster 2 weeks prior for any that havent had a jab as a lamb. We use worm counts and have a lot of ungrazed ground so no worm probs as yet (but would worm if/when needed)

I started with 6 in lamb ewes a couple of years back and now have had 7 in the freezer, 1 lost to a dog/fox and so currently have 20 plus a ram. 15 of them are lambing in April! Havent yet seen one being born!!! despite checking every 5 mins, they sneak em out in between the checks. No lambing probs to date but havent had first timers before this year so watch this space. All have been very good mothers, havent had to adopt any/hand feed any. All lambed outside then scooped up and brought in for 12-24 hours to dry out/be seen feeding/castrate any boys.

You will be addicted and the lamb from them is a-ma-zing! Esp a boned, rolled loin. Unbelievably good.

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:40:37 pm »
We have a small flock of eight shetlands and find them a delight to own and they are very easy to work with (once you catch them) easy to lamb, live outside all year
I have enclosed link for The Shetland sheep society in uk which has a lot of useful information

www.shetland-sheep.org.uk/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:35:33 pm »
Hi there.  Shetlands are pretty much like larger sheep except that they need less hard feeding (grain). They also appreciate some rougher food in their diet in addition to grass, such as willow, and herbs found in older pasture.  As well as the Shetland sheep soc over here, there is also a discussion group ssbg-l@csllink.com .  If that doesn't work I will try to find out just who to email to join.  There are several members on there from the States and I think one from Canada, so it's not just Brits.
Shetlands are wonderful sheep, very self sufficient and adaptable but also easy to handle and friendly.  Their fleece is perfect for craft uses such as spinning.  Are yours all white or do you have some coloured ones?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:56:06 pm »
got 50 odd shetlands and are the best tasting lamb in my opinion and   great fleece well 2nd best in the world to Marino  i really would not underestimate a Shetland iv been put on my a** many a time trying to get them to do what i want and because there smaller foot trimming is harder due to there more agile. stock fence can clear in 1 leap like a goat  but the best meat iv had and would not get rid of my girls 

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:00:36 am »
theres 2 wows with shetland meat, one when you start cooking it and straight away you get the delicious smell you only get from supermarket meat just as it's finishing cooking, with the shetland you get a lovely smell all the way through. and second when you take your first bite and exclaim out loud 'wow'!

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:53:26 pm »
looking forward to trying the meat as I haven't had any . I have whites.browns and blacks and a ram that's close to silver.Thanks for the leads to the Shetland group :)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS