Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to plant in pig pen  (Read 6693 times)

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
What to plant in pig pen
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:01:56 pm »
I have 2 plots that are now completely barren. Any suggestions as to what would be suitable for planting that the pigs would like to dig up and eat???

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: What to plant in pig pen
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:31:27 pm »
I'm planting Jerusalem Artichokes and a mix of brassica seed including swede and salsify & scoronza ( not the right spelling) amongst a mix of grasses/green manure/clover.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11:09 pm »
It may be easier to look at what they shouldn't be able to get their little trotters on: the haulms of potatoes and tomatoes are poisonous, for example, and there may be a few more of these that others can think of (rhubarb?). And pigs won't wait until a plant is fully grown or has fruited before devouring it  :)

They'll happily chump through stinging nettles and all, and they grow for free  ;)

:wave:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:01:13 am »
I'll be watching this post with interest, although I'm rubbish at growing stuff! :pig: ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:39:27 am »
Mine wont touch jersualem artichokes.  I ended up with loads in the compost heap.  Over here its normal to plant beets but as Eve said the pigs wont wait for them to mature. 

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:17:27 pm »
Sorry to Hijack your post Shaun but could a plant whilst paddocks are resting, harvest what I need and leave the rest for the pigs?!

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:56:03 pm »
ive heard potatoes is a good one? so easy to grow and you can never have enough of them?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:11:34 pm »
I thought pigs had trouble digesting uncooked potatoes  ???

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:47:14 am »
I would be careful with uncooked potatoes, the holms are poisonous and anyway there is little nutrition in an uncooked potatoe.  Far better to cook them when they are easier to eat and to digest.  I knew someone whose pig choked on a raw potatoe, and another who blames too many raw potatoes on his losing a sow to twisted gut.  (I have no idea whether this is the case its what he believes).

blonde

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 12:50:27 pm »
Why not just put a grain crop in and let the pigs in to eat it all when it is say thigh high.   Dont have to feed pigs for around 6 weeks when they go in.   Yes they will crush it down, but they will eat every scerick of the feed leaving beind a very bare paddock! :)

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 06:17:53 pm »
Why not just put a grain crop in and let the pigs in to eat it all when it is say thigh high.   Dont have to feed pigs for around 6 weeks when they go in.   Yes they will crush it down, but they will eat every scerick of the feed leaving beind a very bare paddock! :)

What grain crop would you suggest??

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »
oh that sounds like a good idea!

blonde

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 06:22:03 am »

What grain crop would you suggest??

Wheat, barley, rye or oats  or what ever is available in your country If your pen is big enough plant a hay crop and cut and bale  and store the hay in your barn to be used in the piggery!!

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 09:00:53 am »
where is the best place to buy wheat and barley seeds from? can you simply use chicken feed which contains wheat and barley and just scatter them on the ground? i have tried my local agricultural supplier but they dont seem to have any??

blonde

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 02:53:06 pm »
chicken feed should be fine.  I just use uncrushed pig feed and I buy it in by the 20 ton load on a regular basis..... Make sure the land is turned over first by the pigs and then spread  it by hand or by seeder and harrow it in dont need fertiliser as it is all there.   Do just when the rains begin and it will come up.  I buy seconds grain for the pigs as well and that has all sorts of grain in it, and this includes all the weeds a well.   Some time sit also has coriander as some of the growers  north of us put that in as a crop. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS