Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moisturising cream  (Read 5492 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Moisturising cream
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:03 pm »
Does anyone have a recipe for moisturising cream using pork fat?

I have Googled but I am not the most patient person, and after many combinations, cannot find anything.  I am sure Russ will have something up his sleeve for me or even Ree!

Our French butcher makes it to rub on his cows' udders to keep the teats soft and to stop cracking.

When I asked him for the recipe he just smiled, so I guess it is his secret!

I wanted to give it a go, because John's hands particularly suffer especially this time of year in the cold, and we do have a surplus of pork fat which I would like to put to good use.

I know Ree and Carly made candles, so I think I may try that as well as soon as.

Thanks all

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

rustyme

Re: Moisturising cream
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:41:45 am »
hello Kate,
             I thought I had a recipe for that somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment .Looked online but could only find recipes using oils of one sort or another. You can use honey as a moisturiser , just rub it in and away you go . Hemp oil is another very good one as is sunflower oil. A very small amount of rendered pig fat/lard rubbed in would moisturise and soften , this is one of the things used in the past to soften leather and keep it usable, but not sure if you would end up smelling like a pig if used to often .... ::) ::) I will keep looking for a recipe , but I think most people are avoiding the use of animal fats in soaps and such when making their own stuff.
  Sorry couldn't be of any use on this one......one of those days here today ... ;D

cheers anyway

Russ

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 12:53:13 am »
just found one ....

8 ounces (volume) fresh leaf lard
medium chopped
2 grams dried natural mint
1 tablespoon virgin olive oil

(Leaf lard is the fat around the kidneys and in the loin )

b) Processing Procedure

The leaf lard was placed in a stainless steel container and heated moderately with stirring for about 7 minutes until the melted leaf lard reached a temperature of about 240° F. Stirring was sufficient to avoid burning or scorching of the liquid leaf lard. The heat was increased in conjunction with adding of the dried natural mint along with stirring for about 5 minutes until the mixture reached a temperature of about 360° F. The heated mixture was removed from the heat source and strained through double-fine cheesecloth. The strained mixture was then cooled until the mixture temperature reached about 120° F. whereupon the virgin olive oil was added. The resulting mixture was stirred to form a uniform mixture and cooled to room temperature for use as a moisture cream. The moisture cream was found to be particularly effective for moisturizing dry skin, reducing puffiness in the skin, smoothing lines and wrinkles, and diminishing dark circles below the eyes.

I knew I had one somewhere.... ::)

Cheers again Russ

FiFi

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Oswestry, Shropshire
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:52:49 pm »
Don't know if it would be of any help, but I'm pretty sure you can make soap out of pork fat too.  If you Google a soap calculator and find the animal fats part of the calculator it should list pork fat, and how much lye and water you need to use with it.

Anybody here ever made soap?  I fancy trying it but a bit scared of the lye!! :chook:

rustyme

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:04:25 pm »
hello Fifi,
          yes you are right. Most soap that is bought is made from animal fats. I used to work at an animal hide and skin dealers and when we collected them from abatoirs they also had drums of animal fat all kept for the soap and cosmatic industry. Huge lorry loads were sent off with the stuff in. As for the lye, it is dodgy stuff , but as long as you use common sense and go careful you will be fine. It is no more dangerous than bleach really. Just wear protection ie goggles, and don't splash it about nothing much will go wrong. I have made soap and it is very easy to do. To make soap exactly like the stuff you buy is a bit more involved, but it is really just a matter of practice and how much work you want to put into making it.

cheers

Russ

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:15:53 pm »
Thank you both.

I have back fat - the dairy farmer who wanted the fat took back fat also.

Will now look for the leaf lard as you described Russ on the next pig.

Looks like it could be candles and soap for now then.

Many thanks again

Kate  ;)
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS