Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Charging for Pork?  (Read 17092 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Charging for Pork?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 09:44:53 am »
We sell half pigs for £175 (not butchered), a nearby petting zoo / family farm sells them for £205 (butchered, but smaller than ours), but we're in the Home Counties with field rental to pay etc. Prices differ greatly depending on location.

If you make sausages or bacon, the meat will go much further.

:wave:

peteinwilts

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 10:09:22 am »
We sell half pigs for £175 (not butchered), a nearby petting zoo / family farm sells them for £205 (butchered, but smaller than ours), but we're in the Home Counties with field rental to pay etc. Prices differ greatly depending on location.

If you make sausages or bacon, the meat will go much further.

:wave:

Hi Eve

How big are your halves?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 05:57:39 pm »
Never weighed them myself, but was told by the abbatoir that they're about 85-90kgs each. No wonder we felt as if our legs were being flattened whenever the not-so-little-anymore darlings sat on our lap!  :D

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »
eve that is some size thats about 250k liveweight  or 120k if that is the weight of the two sides do you get them back with the skins on or off

peteinwilts

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 10:59:25 pm »

at 6 months old, ours are about 1.2m (length) x 1m (girth)... that is roughly about 80oddKg liveweight, 58Kg deadweight per pig...

Eve: how old\big are your pigs when they go on 'holiday'?

I have had some massive variations in prices across the forums (obviously this is the best!  ;D) and am after as much detail as possible to make a decision (Monday!)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 11:15:37 pm »
So can anyone tell me what the butcher actually would sell a half/whole a pig for??????
I would be interested to see if you would still be cheaper at the top price quoted. ;D

blonde

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 06:16:47 am »
Dont know what the butcher sells a side for but he charges around a  $1.20-$1.50 to butcher and pack it up

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 07:16:21 am »
 :pig:were just about to buy 1/2 pig butchered from friends £70 middle whites home reared good size

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 07:17:19 am »
forgot to mention its from wales

peteinwilts

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 10:33:50 am »
:pig:were just about to buy 1/2 pig butchered from friends £70 middle whites home reared good size

unless it is a piglet, that is a very good friend you have!

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 10:52:39 am »
And that what friend are for hey pete  ;D!!!!!!!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 11:33:21 am »
Whoops, sorry Pete, that's their size when they're whole, not halves!  :-[ 

Oh dear...  :-[
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:35:09 am by Eve »

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 05:54:14 pm »
Hi there.

I am new here so forgive my early rant...................HOWEVER...................some peeps seriously do massively under price their produce!  Its a fact!

If you take the time to research what your meat may be worth, make sure you compare like with like.  By that I mean animals that have been reared with care and attention, no expense spared on the welfare, feeding, vetinary care, etc, then start factoring in the time, transportation costs, advertising costs, and then count to ten............take a deep breath and ask yourself how much is that Rare Breed animal worth to you?  How much would that butcher charge his punters for some its pork? Most importantly do you want to 'sell it' or 'give it away', thus harming all other breeders and their already pitifull margins!

This is not in anyway meant to be an attack on anyone, but looking around in internet land there do seem to be some 'desperados' keen to unload what should be a premium product at ridiculously low prices.

Our pedigree pork sells for £175 per half pig, sausages at £8.50 a kilo.  Bacon, all cuts at £16 per kilo, I am certainly not being greedy either.  The thing to remember is NEVER under value your hard work and love of your stock!

Worthy of note, once you factor in all the little things you always see fit to forget in your costings............at the prices I charge........... we still.........'aint getting ritch'.

I hope my rants help ;D

Regards
Jason
www.hairyhogs.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 02:33:43 pm »
I do agree BUT here in Brittany where the £ has dropped considerably against the euro, its very, very hard to convince expats of the value of real free range, nearly organic pork at between 7 and 12 euros per kilo when they can pay 2 euros a kilo for (albeit revolting cardboard tastless) pork on promo at the supermarket.  I rant all the time about underpricing but its hard to stick to your prices with 3 freezers full of unsold pork and a dozen porkers waiting to go.  (This is not my position at present but certainly is for a lot of other pork producers locally).

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 06:44:48 pm »
Hi again.

Sadly I take your point entirely.  BUT, if anyone is in that position regarding stock coming out of their ears.............seriously, stop breeding till you can catch up, its not rocket science is it?  At the end of the day to sell at a loss is insane, and if you have to do that get out of pigs before you catch a real cold?

I HOPE I never have too, but I fully appreciate it COULD happen, I would pack it in if it didnt pay and sadly thats how it would end.

If everyone charges a sensible price and gives nowt away however it becomes a far more valuable product (as it should be anyway), and punters become conditioned to paying the right price...........Come on everyone believe in your produce!

This is how we box and market ours, please tell me it looks worth the money, everyone has re-ordered!

By the way, I am not trying to bellitle anyones efforts in any way, I truly do believe 'Pigs Are Worth It'!

Regards
Jason
www/hairyhogs.co.uk :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS